Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day I have a 2007 5.7 charger and it is revving up when it shifts into 3rd gear, In standard mode, it is ok if I let the gas off for a bit longer otherwise it does the same thing. No engine codes. I did recently have to replace a good chunk of the cooling system. Got the dealer to check the transmission fluid and they said its all good. I am suspecting the speed sensor but with no codes am not sure. Any suggestions/help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Slipping on 2nd to 3rd upshifts can be due to a number of reasons. Fluid level being low is one, but that's been checked already.
Another is the valve body. The 2-to-3 shift pressure regulator valve could be sticking.
Another is the 3rd gear F2 or B2 clutches. F2 is one of the freewheeling clutches and used to optimize shifting. B2 is one of the holding clutches.
Another is transmission adaptation/calibration. Since you have a 2007 that's been working correctly, and just now experiencing the slipping, this probably is not the problem. To correct this problem the dealership checks for the latest level TCM (transmission control module) software and updates the TCM if it's downlevel. The dealership also performs the TCM adaptation procedure; this allows the electronic transmission system to re-calibrate itself.
The TCM software has adaptive learning. There are a number of devices that plug into the cars OBD2 port and allow you to reset TCM Adaptive Learning. If you have one of these devices (e.g. Tazer, DiabloSport tuner, etc...) you can reset adapative learning and see if it makes any difference.
The other thing you can do is to occasionally check for pending codes by plugging a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port. The problem may not currently be severe enough for the onboard diagnostics to log a permanent error and turn On the check engine light. But if the problem continues the onboard diagnostics may start logging pending codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Thank you for your advice! So after some reading and trying to figure it out, in stick mode if your accelerating hard 3rd gear still won't "grab" right away and shift hard but if I skip it by jumping to 4th it grabs right away and is fine. I think that eliminates B2 as being the culprit. Also is it possible its the speed sensors? I read a few other people having problems with them, I doubt it just because it's only on the one gear but start simple right? lol

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Speed sensors going bad will typically cause the TCM to put the transmission into Limp-In (limp home) mode or post diagnostic codes such as "P0717 - INPUT SPEED SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT NO SIGNAL".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts