Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that in order to install a trunk blackout, the trunk lock has to be removed. Does anyone have any info on what has to be done?

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
I'm not to sure but it shuldn't be that hard to remove it.. I am sure someone here will have something for you..

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most of the trunk blackouts they sell have the trunk lock area cut into the blackout decal already so that all you have to do is line it up right over the key hole. They also have two versions one for people that want to keep the dodge charger trunk emblem and one for the removed dodge charger trunk emblem. So just make sure you double check with the vendor you're purchasing from.

I've been told that in order to install a trunk blackout, the trunk lock has to be removed. Does anyone have any info on what has to be done?

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's one reason why i havent installed mine yet. Austin was supposed to cut a hole for me, but that didnt happen. The other is procrastination. I was looking at it a few weeks ago, and on mine (2008) there's a cover that you remove to get to the handle and stuff. Looked like you had to undo 4 bolts and disconnect some wires.

·
H-D 883 IRON
12,781 Posts
There is a black cover that has 4 push pins that hod it on. Remove those. Inside there is a wiring connector and a rod that need to be disconnected. The cylinder itself is held in place by a clip that need to be removed then the cylinder will come out. BTW I didn't remove the lock when I did my blackout. I placed the blackout on the trunk and secured it with painters tape. After i had it aligned I made a small mark where the trunk lock was and cut a small hole. After I installed the blackout I trimmed around the lock with an exacto knife.

Reactions: BBChallyR/T

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a black cover that has 4 push pins that hod it on. Remove those. Inside there is a wiring connector and a rod that need to be disconnected. The cylinder itself is held in place by a clip that need to be removed then the cylinder will come out. BTW I didn't remove the lock when I did my blackout. I placed the blackout on the trunk and secured it with painters tape. After i had it aligned I made a small mark where the trunk lock was and cut a small hole. After I installed the blackout I trimmed around the lock with an exacto knife.
Well this is good news. I always assumed the vinyl would account for the lock but that's what I get for assuming. I guess I should just be happy that I finally got my vinyl and I'll let the installer make the call on whether to remove the lock or not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So when you do take out the trunk lock? was there anything else that needed to be done to be able to open the trunk? or were you still able to pop the trunk using the dash release or the key fob?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts