Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have had my trinity T-1000 tuner for about a month. Sometimes when I floor it I get knock... I got 6.00 deg short term retard then .50 long term knock. Can someone help me understand what that means? Also I have my cai and exhaust sitting waiting for Christmas time, when I put them on should I change any settings to give me more horsepower or better gas mileage or anything? Thanks guys! Appreciate all of you who educate people like me day in and day out!:TU: :dork:

·
Registered
461 Posts
That is your car retarding timing to compensate. Although, not sure how accurate that is without a wideband. Are you running 93 octane and which tune do you have installed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running the 93 octane with 20% throttle booster. Does the knock cause problems in the engine? And so what is the difference between the short term and the long term?

·
Registered
684 Posts
No settings need to be changed when the cai and exhaust go on, the car will adapt on its own

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes Short Term Knock STK is not good, but it depends on when its happening. It can happen between shifts, letting off the throttle etc. Im not a pro at it, maybe someone else can chime in about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Short Term Knock STK is not good, but it depends on when its happening. It can happen between shifts, letting off the throttle etc. Im not a pro at it, maybe someone else can chime in about it.
You seem like a pro to me.. :4-dontknow: But would definitely love to know more about it because what I have googled hasn't been making much sense to me..

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the Intune and run the 91 tune with 93 oct. fuel. For me it's a love/hate relationship. Love the improved response, even without throttle boost, but hate some quirky transmission shifts. Sometimes my 5 speed acts like it's not sure what gear to be in. Autostick works best since I don't have sport mode on mine. Ive never had any knock thats shown up on data logging.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
At WOT Short term knock (6) and long term (0.5) is not a problem if it recovers when you get to speed. If you go WOT up to around 80 mph and then cruise you should not see any knock. If you data log I would bet that you are seeing the short term reading of 6 and long term of 0.5 for around 2 secs or less when you play it back.

I worried about this when the tuner first came out for the 13's and ran their 93 tune. Diablo told me as long as it recovers it is not a problem. If you see the knock for a period of time like after WOT and just cruising, then you have a problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Intune and run the 91 tune with 93 oct. fuel. For me it's a love/hate relationship. Love the improved response, even without throttle boost, but hate some quirky transmission shifts. Sometimes my 5 speed acts like it's not sure what gear to be in. Autostick works best since I don't have sport mode on mine. Ive never had any knock thats shown up on data logging.
So I am guessing yours is an '11? And have you taken it to the dealership to get the update? Not sure if it would help but there is a long thread about it and I took mine to the dealership before I had the tuner and got it done!

At WOT Short term knock (6) and long term (0.5) is not a problem if it recovers when you get to speed. If you go WOT up to around 80 mph and then cruise you should not see any knock. If you data log I would bet that you are seeing the short term reading of 6 and long term of 0.5 for around 2 secs or less when you play it back.

I worried about this when the tuner first came out for the 13's and ran their 93 tune. Diablo told me as long as it recovers it is not a problem. If you see the knock for a period of time like after WOT and just cruising, then you have a problem.
Only problem is I have a Mac laptop and desktop... Going through the process to run windows on it seems a little too time consuming for me right now...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
So I am guessing yours is an '11? And have you taken it to the dealership to get the update? Not sure if it would help but there is a long thread about it and I took mine to the dealership before I had the tuner and got it done!

Only problem is I have a Mac laptop and desktop... Going through the process to run windows on it seems a little too time consuming for me right now...
You can data log and also play back the data log using both the 1000 and In-tune. (Users manual) You do not need a computer and dataviewer to see if the knock is just at WOT and for only a couple of secs and then recovers down to zero at cruise.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I updated the tuner using Windows, but any logging/updated tunes... I do on my Mac. So easy!

My hemifever tune still ROCKS. I still hate how the enging cant decide what gear to be in. Sometimes I use sport mode and the engine still "shifts" in the same gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.