Turbocharge hookup

Discussion in '2012 Dodge Charger Forum' started by Riley123, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Riley123

Riley123 New Member

Vehicle:
    charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    SE
    Hey guys, im looking to turbocharge my charger...im needing a little help though. i have some questions and would like to get a better understanding of all the components and what they do. I know all the parts i need but im needing some help coming up with a way to hook them all up. im planning on doing a rear mounted turbo...i have the 3.6 pentastar and i wanna do a rear mounted turbo i have this exhaust...where would be the best place to mount? also what would be the best way to route the turbo to the intercooler and the intercooler to the intake? and where is the best place for the intercooler? I had a thread talking about a 3.6 to 5.7 swap but i think its better to make a thread with a title relevant to the post. any info helps thanks! oh and also could someone explain pounds of pressure and how different pounds would effect the performance? Im thinking about getting a garrett turbo

Attached Files:

2. Cadillac Bob

Cadillac Bob New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    SE
    First,take that exhaust off and sell it, none of it will be usable.You will need custom welded pipe by a professional (or at least highly skilled) pipe bender and welder. You can mount your turbo either under-hood, or at the rear of the car, both will need plenty of custom bending done. 2 1/2 pipe back and up is more than adequate, it can flow 800 CFMS of air which is good to 750+ HP. If you go rear mount and 6lbs of boost or less an intercooler isn't necessary. If you use a air to air intercooler it has to be front mounted in order to get airflow.

If you use a conventional turbo and go rear mounted, you will need to install a scavenge pump to supply it with oil. You can cheap out on an Ebay turbo if need be, but dont cheap out on the oil pump, lines or fittings. Same with your wastegate, dont buy ebay crap invest in a quality wastegate and blow of valve, your engine and turbo will thank you.

More boost means your engine can in turn burn more fuel and make more power. Speaking of fuel, you will also need to upsize your injectors and you will absolutely need to have it professionally tuned to work reliably and efficiently. Likewise you will need to install a new MAP sensor so the cars PCM can read positive manifold pressure.