Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TUTORIAL: So you want an aftermarket deck, huh?
"What do I need to put **** into my Charger?" - Is the number 1 question I am asked. So instead of writing it out a billion times more, I'll save myself some time answering and save you guys some time in wondering. Everyone who has ever asked me can vouch that my responses aren't just a paragraph long. They're novels and are aways different. No copy and paste. So I create this thread in hopes that the faster you can get your information the faster you can be enjoying your new head unit.

I plan on updating this as new information will become available and others will have new questions. For right now I'm just going to be doing basic aftermarket parts needed to integrate aftermarket head units (decks) but will add on a Steering Wheel Control and Integrated Satellite Radio section as well soon.

So read up and I hope it answers any questions you may have.
===============================================

The Dodge Charger comes in about 5 different levels of speaker packages with basic-speakers-Non-factory-amped taking up 50% of the market share and the other 4-ish sharing the rest.

I've seen basic 2.7L SE chargers having a factory amp and R/Ts not having one. So there's something that I need you to check out in your car before letting you know about the wiring harness you will need for your application.

FACTORY AMPLIFIER
For: ALL YEARS of Chargers​
This section is the biggest one and means the most when getting the proper parts for your Charger, it separates the difference of either needing a $20 wiring harness or a $120 wiring harness. Chargers that are not equipped with a factory amplifier can use the $20 Metra 70-6502. Where chargers with a factory amplifier either need to completely rewire their speaker system or use the $70-$120 PAC Audio C2R-CHY4.

To tell if you have a factory amp reference the picture below and physically look for the factory amplifier. There is no way of 100% knowing just from a spec sheet. The factory amp is a silver module behind the driver's side dash just above the hood release switch. There is a carpet under dash that you will need to pry downward a slight bit. Basic Tools Needed include a flash light and small pry tool like a flat head screw driver. It would be easiest with a phillips head screw driver too.

(this picture has the under dash knee panel removed, it is very simple to do so but you can easily find out if you have an amp or not by prying down the carpet slightly and looking.)

IF A FACTORY AMPLIFIER ISN'T PRESENT:
You can use the Metra 70-6502 Harness. But instead of wiring up the Red 'Switched Accessory' wire from your aftermarket head unit to the 70-6502 you will need to extend it and attach it to the Red/orange wire located at the cigarette/12v plug next to the ash tray and below your radio bezel.

IF A FACTORY AMPLIFIER IS PRESENT:
You will either need to fully rewire your system or purchase the $70-$120 PAC Audio C2R-CHY4 harness as the factory amplifier turns on via a canbus computer code. Wiring up your aftermarket head unit to the C2R-CHY4 is very simple and involves only matching colours. The C2R-CHY4 is especially awesome as it supplies you with other wires that aftermarket double DIN head units may need for navigation purposes. Such as the VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) wire and Reverse Wire Output (for reverse cameras)

WHY THIS MATTERS:
If you have a factory amplifier and don't use the C2R-CHY4 harness then you will not get any sound out of your speakers. As perviously mentioned the Factory amplifier needs a CANBUS computer language to tell it to turn on. Which is different from other manufacturer's factory amplifier that only needs to see a + or - signal. Think of our factory amplifier as a program on your computer. You need to double click the icon on your desktop to turn it on and there is no way to wire in a switch on the outside of the computer that you flick to turn on the program. So you need Windows or MacOS to tell the program to run, just like how you would need the C2R-CHY4 harness to tell the vehicle to turn on the factory amp.

FACTORY RADIO BEZEL AND SIZE
For: 2006-2007 Chargers​
In 2006 and 2007 there are two styles of factory head unit.

Half Moon Bezel said:
The "Half moon" style. Where the two knobs on the sides of the radio make it so that the factory bezel has half moon shapes cut into the rectangle opening. This style of factory head unit will not accommodate a double DIN head unit. If you're wanting to put in a Single DIN head unit (common size, non nav, non video deck) then you can use the factory bezel and would only need a Metra 99-6507 to fill the difference between the factory radio and the aftermarket single DIN head unit.

Factory Nav Bezel said:
The other style of factory head unit in a 2006-2007 Charger is the factory navigation. It is larger then a single DIN and the bezel that comes in vehicles equipped with the Factory Nav (aka REC Nav) will accommodate an aftermarket Double DIN head unit (double the height of a Single DIN head unit) The opening is rectangular and with the aid of a Metra 99-6510 you can put in either a Single DIN w/ Pocket or a Double DIN head unit.

If you have the half moon style radio and are wanting to put in a double DIN, you need to purchase a factory navigation bezel, widely available at your dealership, wreckers, or even in the B/S/T section of your friendly neighbourhood ChargerZ forum.

Many people have cut up their half moon style bezels to Double DIN but are never satisfied with the end result. Save yourself the time and hassle, and just get the factory navigation bezel. It looks much better and fits better too.

FACTORY RADIO BEZEL AND SIZE
For: 2008-2010 Chargers​
2008-2010 Charger Dash said:
You guys have it easy, your Chargers come with only one size of bezel, regardless on if you have basic radio or MyGig Navigation. It will fit a single DIN and a Double DIN with the aid of a Metra dash kit. The Metra 95-6511 has wings that fit on the side of a Double DIN deck to make it wide enough to fit the factory opening and the Metra 99-6511 is for people who are wanting a Single DIN head unit w/ a pocket. (Notice the 99 and 95 difference in the product names, this does matter)

WHY THIS MATTERS:
If you get a Double DIN deck and have the half moon radio, your deck won't fit. Knowing what is available to integrate aftermarket with factory will help retain a factory look in your vehicle. The dash kits make everything very easy and unlike other car manufacturers, the Metra kits aren't universally sized where you will have to modify the kit in any sort of way. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep use the same size and bolt arrangement across their vehicle lines. Very simple in using. Be careful when talking to Car Audio Salesmen about putting in an aftermarket head unit into your Charger. Most don't own one of our cars and therefore don't know about the different sizes of bezels. After reading all of this, I guarantee that you can walk in and know more about the parts then a salesman would. I do this for a living and see salesmen at their worst, every day. I don't know how many times it saddened me to have to rebook a customer because they didn't have a factory navigation bezel when trying to put a Double DIN Head unit into their Charger; all because the salesman didn't know the difference.
*Note: What is even more funny is that when looking on Yahoo!Autos for pictures of the dash, they even had pictures of a 2007 Interior in their 2010 Charger listing.

ANTENNA ADAPTORS
This one is easy, the factory radio antenna built into your rear window (06-07) or mounted on the rear roof (08-10) is either a Chrysler end or 'European' style end. Aftermarket head units all use the same size called the 'Motorolla' Style. You will need an adaptor to go from Chrysler or European to Aftermarket Motorolla.

This adaptor is needed to retain FM and AM signals and does not matter if you have a factory amplifier or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For: 2006-2007 Chargers​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Chargers have a basic antenna that is built into the rear window glass in your car, it can only pick up AM and FM signal and is the 'Chrysler' style end. The antenna will be located in the deck cavity when you remove the factory deck. The Metra 40-CR10 is the adaptor that you will be needing.

For: 2008-2010 Chargers​
Your guy's antennas are a little more advanced, they are a european style antenna that receives both AM FM and Satellite Radio signals. There will be two plugs behind your factory deck, one does the AM FM and the other the Satellite Radio. If you are planning on doing integrated Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM) then you can use the factory antenna end instead of having to run a new Sirius or XM antenna. You will need a Sirius or XM module with your aftermarket head unit though. But that's another story. The antenna adaptor that you will be needing is the Metra 40-EU10.

So make sure that you have your harness, dash bezel, dash kit and antenna adaptor ready for when you're going to install your new aftermarket head unit. With the aid of this post, you won't have any surprises and will be listening and playing around with an aftermarket head unit in no time.

*Some skill is required in removing the bezel and wiring up your harnesses. If you do not feel comfortable dismantling your Charger, please take it to a Mobile Audio shop, sometimes the small fee of professional installation is well worth the headache and probability of breaking something.

Sources:
PAC Audio
PAC Audio C2R-CHY4 Install Guide
METRA Electronics
BestKits.com

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
:rep: Nice write up bro, that should help alot of charger owners out.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Great write up bro. :rep:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys! I need to format it a little better but it shall do. Hopefully the info helps everyone.

·
Getting back in the game!
37,448 Posts
Hot damn! That's a great write up, brother! :rep:

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
Great thread dude!!! This info is awesome.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Wow great write up!!!!:rep:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Thanks for the write up and thanks for the other write up on how to remove the bezel. It made removing my bezel so easy. I was able to pop it out with my fingers...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow... awesome info, but I totally got stung!! I was supposed to have my new head unit intstalled tomorrow and just found out that I have a factory amp.

Does anyone know where I could get a harness fast and cheap? (More cheap than fast)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow... awesome info, but I totally got stung!! I was supposed to have my new head unit intstalled tomorrow and just found out that I have a factory amp.

Does anyone know where I could get a harness fast and cheap? (More cheap than fast)
the cheapest i found was ebay

·
Registered
328 Posts
Great! thank you!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Nice write up ryval

·
Registered
1 Posts
Warning, I have a 2009 SE 3.5L, and the harness "Metra 70-6502" Don't Work!.
I think I need the "Metra 70-6522". I 'm gonna buy it and tell your guys later....BTW, HI, I'm new here!... ;)
**I can now confirm that 70-6522 is a perfect fit.But, the other white plug, dunno what it is. Will test it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts