Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to pull the trigger on upgrading my 2018 Scat Pack. As the title says, had a 2.9L Whipple Installed. Result: 623hp/577lbft at the wheels. Absolutely insane and scary at the same time!

IMG_0650.JPG

·
Registered
380 Posts
No, you didn't do that right. It's supposed to be a before and after thing. C'mon man, you know the rules.

It looks good, and those numbers...wow. Nice.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yes, before and after Dyno Graphs or it didn't happen. :) What PSI you runnin?

·
Registered
136 Posts
6psi or less without internals. I think Whipple recommends 6 being the limit for the stock 392. Very little material at the ring lands. Any pre det will break off the lands... You may want to speak with Brian at BnD Automotive, just Google it... He makes a fuel additive, aces iv, that you might be interested in.... It's a lubricant and a stabilizer/octane booster. Just a thought for a litte extra protection in your situation... Regardless OP, I'd be super choosey about where and when I got gas, anything gets in the tank that hurts octane levels and hopefully your tune is safe enough to deal with it. If it's a stock Whipple tune your prolly okay, but if you start pushing it boost wise, tune wise, or with just really bad gas it's game over man, it is even without pushing it honesty of ya get really bad gas and try to run it out or push through. The 392 wasn't designed for boost, it was built to take maximum advantage in the space given for a NA application. Hence the reason FCA left some metal in there for the 6.2 boosted HC... Beautiful car and setup regardless and perfectly capable of handling the boost as long as ya don't go beyond the 6psi and be peculiar about fuel options, jealous of you a little for now!! Doing the same thing with some forged stuff on a 5.7... or rather a 5.9 it will be, hope to run into ya 😁...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No before but here is the dyno after. It’s a custom tune at 6psi. The canned Whipple tune would be dangerous so it was backed down to the safe level. Was told 650-675 was max safe hp on the 392 without forging the internals. There is plenty of room left on the whipple to go up, but making the engine safe for that was about 28-30k. Might as well get the Hellcat by then! Whipple recommends 91 octane but I’ve always run 93. Thanks for the info on the octane boost additive, I’ll have to look into it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Surprised Whipple sent ya a hand grenade!! But not really I guess... Glad your tuner was on top of it!! I do think they are severely over priced on their forged upgrade though... If your mechanical yourself... THIS is a drop in kit, and you're good to go already on the crank... Long weekend in and out would be my route. If you got a deeeeep tool box maybe in the car, but I doubt it... Grab a case a beer, or two, and a buddy; then turn it up to 14 lol.. HP-70 barrier is 800 so they say... I'll let ya know how it likes 750 early next year, if you don't forge and let me know before... 😉! Lol...

Nice curve, flat as pancake, 🥞... That's Whipple for ya... Had several on big Marines applications, monstrous torque out of 636 chevys with a pair of 8.5 liter whipps!! Pancake I tell ya, whipple is good at moving heavy things alot faster than you'd think they could... Almost threw a buddy off of the engine hatch from acceleration, in a 13k pound boat!! LMAO

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks, nice numbers, and not to be a nag but strange, normally a dyno operator /tuner will do a pull as is before tuning.Geeesh?
I mean it's pretty much one of the points of modding.
I'm sure he's got the data, he just didn't config the print out.

I bet it howls pretty good. Enjoy

·
Registered
26 Posts
crossi01, I know it's only been a month but I'm curious as to how the car is holding up and how you've enjoyed it now that you've had some time with the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely insane! It drives normal as if it's not even there until you put your foot into it and then it's like a slingshot. Cars been holding up great. Sent it into redline a couple of times using the paddle shifters because it spools up so fast but no bad repercussions. I'd have to say I'm extremely pleased with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Absolutely insane! It drives normal as if it's not even there until you put your foot into it and then it's like a slingshot. Cars been holding up great. Sent it into redline a couple of times using the paddle shifters because it spools up so fast but no bad repercussions. I'd have to say I'm extremely pleased with it.
Awesome man! That's great to hear and also reassuring, lol.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Curious about the hot air intake, wouldn't the stock box be cooler IAT's.
Or did the reservoir take up that territory?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Likely would have been cooler but there was a good deal of piping with the intercooler and supply lines running through there so it was taken out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I installed one myself on my 2013 with Dyno Tune for $7k.

While in there I upped to dual fans from a salvage, and installed the extreme cooling radiator and OE oil cooler (requires new hoses).

I'm thinking he paid in the area of 12k for a turn key install.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts