Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Charger Pursuit AWD 5.7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I'm new to modifying cars and don't know much.
I was wondering if someone could help me out and tell me some details about adding twin turbos to my charger.

How much would it cost for the turbochargers? Price for installation? Best turbokit and place to buy from?
and whatever else goes into it...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts

If it is an AWD, you would not be able to go WOT much from a stop. There are a few AWD Chargers that have a supercharger with low boost running just fine, but the transfer case will only handle so much power. Most problems will occur with hooking from a dead stop. WOT from around 15-20 mph would be what you want with low boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If it is an AWD, you would not be able to go WOT much from a stop. There are a few AWD Chargers that have a supercharger with low boost running just fine, but the transfer case will only handle so much power. Most problems will occur with hooking from a dead stop. WOT from around 15-20 mph would be what you want with low boost.
Well I found this awd charger on youtube with 620+ hp (his channel his dasllamas if you want to check it out) and that’s what gave me the idea it was possible. Now i’m not trying to go that crazy, I just want to have around the same hp as a scat pack. If turbos aren’t going to work, how do you suggest going about that? Thanks my man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This reminds me of a first timer at the range wanting to start with a Desert Eagle 50.

Maybe you should try VentVisors & mudflaps first and work up to twin turbos.
How much hp would vent visors and mudflaps add though? i’m just kidding 😂

But yeah I just upgraded from a crv to this v8 charger. I wasn’t planning on doing this anytime soon, probably a year from now. Just like to know in advance so I know how much money to save up. And like I said to one of the other replies I just want to get my car as close to a stock scatpack as I can (without actually making it a 392)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
This reminds me of a first timer at the range wanting to start with a Desert Eagle 50.

Maybe you should try VentVisors & mudflaps first and work up to twin turbos.
Not much different than I was back in 2013 with my RT looking for more power. Had no idea about Cams in Hemi's, what was required........Tuning became available only a few months after I got the car but the tuning was hit and miss with only a few people capable of doing it with Diablo. Was one of the first three to try out the new Modern Muscle Custom Grind Cam (Instead of the Comp Cam's short list of 266, 270 or 274). I had no idea what a cam limiter was, required springs on the heads, pushrod......Just heard that it could work for more power, paid the bucks and had Afterhours Mopar Performance do the work. Drove from Knoxville Tn down to Ft Lauderdale just to get the work done because there were no shops around capable of doing it.

A bunch of us started to tinker around with the idea of adding the 6.4L intake manifold to the 5.7L and with the help of Hemmissary on the LX forum were able to pull it off. No one knew what they were doing except Hemmissary.

When it came to add a supercharger, I had no experience in doing the install much less pinning the crank. Got a lot of information and tips off of the Challenger Talk forum and did the install.

That is what good forums are all about! Giving information to those that ask questions without regards to the number of posts they have or experience level. A Majority will not do the work, some just like to ask questions, and a few will get the results they want!

Reactions: jakawdhemi

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well I found this awd charger on youtube with 620+ hp (his channel his dasllamas if you want to check it out) and that’s what gave me the idea it was possible. Now i’m not trying to go that crazy, I just want to have around the same hp as a scat pack. If turbos aren’t going to work, how do you suggest going about that? Thanks my man!
You can get to close to scat pack power (Or better) with a simple Cam, LT headers (ARH only makes them for the AWD) and a good tune. There are several custom Cams out there that will give you a decent amount of power. Figure around $5,000-$6,000 for parts install and tuning at a Hemi shop. Where are you located? Getting the right shop and tuner can save a bunch of future problems. I have seen guys trying to get their local speed shop do the work with no Hemi experience. Many problems after intall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can get to close to scat pack power (Or better) with a simple Cam, LT headers (ARH only makes them for the AWD) and a good tune. There are several custom Cams out there that will give you a decent amount of power. Figure around $5,000-$6,000 for parts install and tuning at a Hemi shop. Where are you located? Getting the right shop and tuner can save a bunch of future problems. I have seen guys trying to get their local speed shop do the work with no Hemi experience. Many problems after intall.
Okay sweet, that is about the price range I was looking at too. Could I add those upgrades one at time also?

I'm located in NC. Yeah definitely don't want any problems by human error haha. I have been told about a place that's great with any build called Bullet Motorsports. Do you know of anywhere in NC that'd be best going to?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If you add a Cam, it is best to get the Longtubes from American Racing installed at the same time. Depending on the Cam, you may be required to get PSI springs installed in the heads along with pushrods. When they take the heads off, they would just add the headers when they re-install the heads at no cost to you. A Cam that will get you close or above Scat Pack power will require the head work.

Depending on where in North Carolina you are located, Petty's Garage (A bit expensive but has a good tuneer) is located in North Carolina. A few shops close to NC, A2Speed and Modern Muscle Xtreme (Both specialize in Hemi's) are located in Martinsville Va. Better Built Performance is another good Hemi shop in Rocky Mount Va.

Something not mentioned, is mileage on the AWD, If low mileage and for a few $$ more you could just have a supercharger installed. Several members with AWD have done that. Keep the boost at around 7 LBs and you would have more power than the Scat. Figure around $7500 for the kit and another $1200 for the complete install.

Looks like Bullet Motorsports specializes in hemi's also, but this is the first I have heard of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you add a Cam, it is best to get the Longtubes from American Racing installed at the same time. Depending on the Cam, you may be required to get PSI springs installed in the heads along with pushrods. When they take the heads off, they would just add the headers when they re-install the heads at no cost to you. A Cam that will get you close or above Scat Pack power will require the head work.

Depending on where in North Carolina you are located, Petty's Garage (A bit expensive but has a good tuneer) is located in North Carolina. A few shops close to NC, A2Speed and Modern Muscle Xtreme (Both specialize in Hemi's) are located in Martinsville Va. Better Built Performance is another good Hemi shop in Rocky Mount Va.

Something not mentioned, is mileage on the AWD, If low mileage and for a few $$ more you could just have a supercharger installed. Several members with AWD have done that. Keep the boost at around 7 LBs and you would have more power than the Scat. Figure around $7500 for the kit and another $1200 for the complete install.

Looks like Bullet Motorsports specializes in hemi's also, but this is the first I have heard of them.
I may start off with tuning it then and save some money up to be able to do both the cam and headers so its done right and so I notice a big difference too.

Thank you for all that recommendations! I will for sure going to call around and see who will be best for me.

My car has 116k miles on it. Is that too high for a supercharger? That would be sick. Also, out of curiosity, what about just a single turbo? What would that be like?

Thanks so much I really appreciate you helping me.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If the car was well maintained 116K is not to bad to put on a blower. I would get the heads reworked, cost is less than $1000 and put on a cometic head gasket when buttoned up. The 5.7L engine is pretty strong and people have run 8 lbs of boost for years without any problems.

If it were me I would stay away from turbo, sounds nice, but from reading on the forums, more problems than say a nice Eldebrock or Maggie blower.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts