Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radio is changing stations, going from fm to am and turning the nav map on all by itself. Of course this all happens as soon as I go over 36k miles..I have a history of unconnect issues, I’m hoping dodge will fix/replace. Any body else experience this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had my ‘17 charger freeze, but my wife’s ‘13 Journey has had a similar experiences to you including her a/c control going haywire and not responding to touchscreen or knobs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My radio is changing stations, going from fm to am and turning the nav map on all by itself. Of course this all happens as soon as I go over 36k miles..I have a history of unconnect issues, I’m hoping dodge will fix/replace. Any body else experience this?
I'm having the exact same problems. My radio goes from SXM to FM, AM. But never goes back to SXM. My navigation turns off by itself or switches to Pandora radio without my intervention. I wonder if I can directly replace it with a later model radio?

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
141 Posts
Anyone ever resolve these issues?
Ours is doing the same thing now. Radio randomly skips stations, navigation switches screens....
Uconnect support is useless, basically act if they never heard of these issues before.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you're having concerns with your Uconnect system. We'd like to look into this a little bit further if you'd like extra support! Please send us a private message when you get a moment.

Thanks,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
141 Posts
Well, it's the delamination issue that is causing "false touchscreen presses" that makes the radio crazy.
I have an appointment Saturday to have the dealer look at the issue. - so, we will see.
I have read a lot about this issue across the internet, some believe it's a heat related issue, but this car spends it's downtime in the garage.
You can see the delamination across the top of the screen.
IMG_5905.JPG

·
Registered
102 Posts
One question for anybody who may be having these issues: Do you spray any type of cleaning agent (window cleaner, Armor-All, etc.) directly on the display? Perhaps this could be the problem. Just reaching out here ...

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
141 Posts
One question for anybody who may be having these issues: Do you spray any type of cleaning agent (window cleaner, Armor-All, etc.) directly on the display? Perhaps this could be the problem. Just reaching out here ...
In our case. absolutely not. We use electronic wipes or those eyeglass wipes.
I've seen where the dealer has said its due to heat (Texas/Florida, etc). Our Scat sits in a garage a lot.
It's not overly hot in there. When parked outside, we use a sunshade.
My wife is very particular about her car. We bought the car new and we are at 37k.

ETA: and it's not just Chargers, I see the same thing happening with this 8.4 radio on jeep, challenger, and ram forums.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cleaning solutions won't get behind the screen and cause de-lamination. So here's the deal on mine; I had 40k miles but 34 months. If the dealer won't fix it without a hassle call the hot line. My story is somewhere in here, but briefly, I called the hot line and they started a ticket. The dealer wanted $1200. The process took several weeks because the agent called the dealership and would leave a voice mail for my service advisor, then he would call the agent and get her voice mail. They didn't appear to be trying very hard so I kept calling each of them asking them to try again. Eventually they agreed to replace it at no cost to me, AND there's a 2-year warranty.
Oh, and mine is garage-kept as well. So it's not a heat issue. If they didn't replace it for free I had already decided I would pay to have it fixed; it's integral to several main functions of the car. Yeah, it's $1200 but crap happens.

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
141 Posts
Cleaning solutions won't get behind the screen and cause de-lamination. So here's the deal on mine; I had 40k miles but 34 months. If the dealer won't fix it without a hassle call the hot line. My story is somewhere in here, but briefly, I called the hot line and they started a ticket. The dealer wanted $1200. The process took several weeks because the agent called the dealership and would leave a voice mail for my service advisor, then he would call the agent and get her voice mail. They didn't appear to be trying very hard so I kept calling each of them asking them to try again. Eventually they agreed to replace it at no cost to me, AND there's a 2-year warranty.
Oh, and mine is garage-kept as well. So it's not a heat issue. If they didn't replace it for free I had already decided I would pay to have it fixed; it's integral to several main functions of the car. Yeah, it's $1200 but crap happens.
That story sounds familiar. I either read it or others that were also similar.
I've talked to some people at Dodge, they said I needed to take it to a dealer to get things going, so thats what I will be doing in the morning.
I'll be interested to hear what they (the dealer) has to say.

I've read stores where the dealer denied ever hearing of such a thing, and some who say their dealer said they get 2 a week.

I agree with you. it's something that you have to have.
It controls so much.

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
141 Posts
Radio update:

I go see the local dealer this morning, and of course, the radio is working fine.
I talked to the service advisor and asked if he had seen this problem before and to my surprise, he said yes. I've seen about 50 of these come in over the last few years.

They had the car for about 20mins and then said it was ready.
Service advisor said, radio needs replacement and the car is out of warranty, but this is a known issue and they would replace it under goodwill.
Told me he ordered the radio and it would be 5-7 days and he would call me when it comes in to have it installed and said it takes about 20mins to replace.

I got no complaints. (at this time :) )

·
Registered
195 Posts
Radio update:

I go see the local dealer this morning, and of course, the radio is working fine.
I talked to the service advisor and asked if he had seen this problem before and to my surprise, he said yes. I've seen about 50 of these come in over the last few years.

They had the car for about 20mins and then said it was ready.
Service advisor said, radio needs replacement and the car is out of warranty, but this is a known issue and they would replace it under goodwill.
Told me he ordered the radio and it would be 5-7 days and he would call me when it comes in to have it installed and said it takes about 20mins to replace.

I got no complaints. (at this time :) )
We're glad to hear that everything is working out smoothly so far. It sounds like you've found a great dealer to work with! Feel free to keep us updated on your vehicle's status.

Thanks,

Courtney
Dodge Cares

Reactions: JohnnyDollar

·
Registered
278 Posts
You have a good dealership if they ordered a new unit at no cost to you! When I went to mine they told me it would be $1200, no extended warranty, no nuthin'. I had to call Dodge and start a case. Obviously, it's a better customer experience when the dealership takes care of the entire process. It took several weeks of going back and forth to get mine fixed.

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
141 Posts
You have a good dealership if they ordered a new unit at no cost to you! When I went to mine they told me it would be $1200, no extended warranty, no nuthin'. I had to call Dodge and start a case. Obviously, it's a better customer experience when the dealership takes care of the entire process. It took several weeks of going back and forth to get mine fixed.
The experience probably depends when it happened.
Like I mentioned, the service manager here said he had seen about 50 of these come in.
If ours had delaminated a year or two ago, who knows?

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Charger
141 Posts
UPDATE:
I called yesterday to check on the radio, the service tech said they had gotten 4 radios today and she would check to see if mine was one of them. It was.
Made an appoint for today at 8am.

This morning the radio was especially annoying. Good riddance.

New radio installed, took about an hour.
Radio looks good, just have to reset all our settings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts