Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I know this is a magnum question but I couldn't get membership there. Does anyone know what this piece is called and how important it is. As I was changing springs I noticed this was all bent. It is rubbing on the exhaust but I don't know how essential it is. Probably go to eBay and see what it goes for but don't know what it would be called, or if it can stay probably get a wrench and try to twist it back

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting

Purple Wheel Tire Automotive tire Pink

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It's a brace, looks like you (or whomever) hit something to bend it like that (it's pretty herky steel). They usually either get removed or shimmed if you have aftermarket (larger) pipes. Considering I can see how badly the studs are bent, you're gonna play hell getting to those four 13mm nuts lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a brace, looks like you (or whomever) hit something to bend it like that (it's pretty herky steel). They usually either get removed or shimmed if you have aftermarket (larger) pipes. Considering I can see how badly the studs are bent, you're gonna play hell getting to those four 13mm nuts lol.
Ya, car was lowered when I bought it and bottoming out. If it's not a major component I might try to remove it. If I can get to those 2 bolts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Not really what I call thick, its stamped out of sheet metal. Looks like they backed over something and twisted it.
A pipe wrench with her on a lift can get her twisted enough to remove and replace "BUT" - Take care not to bend and break off the studs. I bet any year LX or LD will fit. Salvage yard easy find.
I would not leave it off.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Not really what I call thick, its stamped out of sheet metal. Looks like they backed over something and twisted it.
A pipe wrench with her on a lift can get her twisted enough to remove and replace "BUT" - Take care not to bend and break off the studs. I bet any year LX or LD will fit. Salvage yard easy find.
I would not leave it off.
Oh it's stamped, but you ain't bending it by hand, trust me on that one lol. Gonna need at least a 3' pipe wrench and it'll end up snapping the studs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As for the necessity of that part, they don't put anything extra on cars just for shits and giggles. That crossmember will add some rigidity to the chassis, not something you'd notice much in peaceful motoring, but it definitely has a function.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts