Dodge Charger Forum banner

Update: whats wring with my cooling system?

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  RobFab 
#1 ·
So the other day I posted about how I'm having problems with the car after installing a 180° thermostat and setting the fans to kick on around 190 to 195 it can't seem to stay below 208 when idling..

Even on the highway it goes down to 197 and that's it..

I did figure out that when I turn on the heat inside the car it keeps it at a steady temperature that I wanted to do that. So apparently when the fans are blowing over the heater core for the interior that keeps it cool but the radiator fan on high doesn't seem to do it..

Some people suggested air bubbles but does that sound like that?

I can't figure out what could be. I checked the fans they're working. The coolant seems to be flowing because when I take the cap off it steems

But unless I'm running the heat it doesn't seem to go below 203 tops. Usually it fluctuates between 203 and 208 despite the fans being on high the whole time..

#2 ·
It wouldn’t hurt to purge the coolant system. Every time you take the cap off you risk getting more air in the system. Air in the system can cause steam and act like a plug and prevent the coolant to cycle correctly or even at all. It’s a little bit of money but what’s $100 for piece of mind one less thing to worry about and maybe check that the coolant isn’t milky or dirty indicating other issues.

#4 ·
You should post the year and engine size and milage when asking for assistence
And location and outdoor temps. There is nothing wrong with 208 210 at idle. Different days and times of day will show different temps.

On my 2013 R/T 5.7 dual fans when I idle in 95°F heat my fans cycle on high at 197 and back to low at 186. I have the Severe II thick radiator and dual fans.

You are not overheating until 225. I would not be worried with what you are running. What car and engine are you running.. What weather temps.

#10 ·
Sure they put in the correct thermostat? Did it get tested in a pot with a thermometer to see when it opened?

If they mixed your antifreeze it will possibly corrode & gel the system. You're gonna need to have it flushed & refilled. If they didn't know you can't mix different antifreezes together I would not carry anything back to them.

#11 ·
I agree with other comments about wrong/mix of antifreeze. I'd buy a gallon of correct concentrate from Mopar dealer, and pickup several jugs of distilled water, do a complete flush, then mix concentrate with distilled. Also, as mentioned, check the orientation of the weep hole at the 12 o'clock position in the housing, and while you're at it, pull the stat and get a thermometer and still the stat in a pot of hot water to check to see it opens around 180-185. I changed my stat to a 180 on my Hemi at less than a year old, and along with a Diablo tune and fan setting changes, had good luck for a few years. Then, on way home on highway on a 95 deg. day, stat stuck SHUT completely! Coasted to off ramp and shut down as it just passed 230. Had it flatbacked home, where I got a new 180 stat and put it in. Was also running sometimes abnormally hot, or would spike, then cool. Re-purged for any air pockets a couple times, but still the same. Long story short, I went through a few 180s in a couple years, including another that stuck completely shut. Made in various places, including US, Mexico, Israel & China. All were POS. Went to a 190, which was built better, and never had a problem for past 5+ years. Only time I can get mine over 206-208 range is on a 90+ day, and romping on it pretty hard at highway speeds, but even after I come to a stop after a few minutes, always stays in the 197-198 range. Cooler days at steady speeds, runs 192-194 all day long.

#12 ·
I didnt read everything here but air bubbles in cooling system in a charger means air bubbles that can be in your engine and water pump. and can blow your engine. bleeding the coolant system of air after a coolant change PROPERLY is vital to your cars life. I let a reputable co who had been working on my 06 a lot over 2 years, while diagnosing my self, but they failed to do this, (bleed the air PROPERLY)and i blew my pump and it took life off my engine in one block I was told my car was dead I had blown a gasket I figured it out from here Forumz and it took 3 mechanics to finally do the bleed as i said. $1000 for a water pump change when nothing was wrong with my car when i took it to the mechanic for the oil and coolant. They gave me a receipt without the coolant change on it. I saved my car with the help of somebody here on charger forumz I just didnt believe i had blown the head because the absence of symptoms. Thank you P.S. you have to take the timing belt off and crank case and bleed from engine nobody seems to wanna get that part-REBAJO

#13 ·
You guys are taking some drag out. There is nothing wrog with this persons cooling. Its not overheating. Troll alert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.