Dodge Charger Forum banner

V6 Engine/Trans swap from 3.5 to 3.6

19K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  HemiLonestar 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Charger with the 3.5L. I do a lot of driving. Daily drive to work is 65 miles each way. I'm already at 178,000 miles. The car is paid off and other than the common Tick for 5 minutes at cold start up and less than stellar MPG, the car is in great condition. I was getting 24-26 mpg on the highway, but since I added the 20" Foose wheels I get 20-22 mpg. Since the car is paid off, I'm probably going to keep if for a long time. I don't think I would get much if I traded it in due to the mileage.

I was wondering if anyone had upgraded to the newer 3.6L with the 8 speed transmission. They are supposed to get 31 mpg. I figure sooner or later I'm either going to have to rebuild or swap the engine, so I want to explore the options before I have a catastrophic failure and have to make a quick decision.

Thanks,
Dennis

#2 ·
I haven't seen any threads on it but I bet that tranny will be pricey, not sure how compatible the wiring harnesses will be from an '11-'13 to a pre '11 car. Good luck in your research!

#3 ·
The 3.6 Pentastar is a VVT engine, you would need EVERYTHING to convert. The stock 3.5 ECM won't adjust for the variable valve timing, which is how they got almost 300HP from the 3.6. I doubt it can be done, without MILs being on after the swap. The TCM is needed also, the wiring harnesses are different, so the ECM and TCM can communicate with each other.

With money there is a way, but you're looking at $4000+ for the entire swap, If it could even be done. You will end up putting a fresh 3.5 in it, in the end.

#4 ·
The 3.6 isn't designed to fit a 1st gen model. Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but it requires the entire under-hood area to be reconstructed. So if you got enough cash to take it to a body shop, and get the engine area constructed to fit a 3.6 then go for it, but you'll have to spend a lot, especially when installing a new tranny + engine. And plus labor, seeing you most likely won't be doing it yourself. You're probably looking at 6500-7k. If I were you, i'd get a new 3.5, or I'd sell it, and just bite the bullet and buy a 2013 Sxt.

#8 · (Edited)
That kinda sucks bro. My car gets at least 30mpg hwy. I remember growing up, my parents grand caravans always aged very well. Shoot, Ive driven my car about 450miles on a single tank averaging about 70-73mph. Only mod I had at the time was a drop in K&N filter and the removed silencer from the factory air box. My motor doesnt tick unless the oil is in dire need of changing and thats almost always right around the 3k mi time frame as it is.

Wouldnt a chip/tune and full exhaust and air intake benefit more than dropping cash on a motor?

#10 ·
That kinda sucks bro. My car gets at least 30mpg hwy. I remember growing up, my parents grand caravans always aged very well. Shoot, Ive driven my car about 450miles on a single tank averaging about 70-73mph. Only mod I had at the time was a drop in K&N filter and the removed silencer from the factory air box. My motor doesnt tick unless the oil is in dire need of changing and thats almost always right around the 3k mi time frame as it is.

Wouldnt a chip/tune and full exhaust and air intake benefit more than dropping cash on a motor?
Not if it's wore out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.