Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 7 months ago me and another guy installed a cam into my charger. I haven't had any problems with it until yesterday. The Valve train ticking has gotten alittle louder at start up, not much but noticeble. When i drive it and the car warms up it stops ticking. The mourning's have been alittle colder than usual, so i am guessing that this could be the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
151 Posts
About 7 months ago me and another guy installed a cam into my charger. I haven't had any problems with it until yesterday. The Valve train ticking has gotten alittle louder at start up, not much but noticeble. When i drive it and the car warms up it stops ticking. The mourning's have been alittle colder than usual, so i am guessing that this could be the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just shot in the dark , but what weight oil are you using ? Are The MDS lifters still installed ?

Bill

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Is it about time for an oil change? mine quit tapping like that after an oil change.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im currently using 5W20, with 45000 miles on the car. The MDS lifters are still installed.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Do you have headers ?

My guess would be its normal and its more noticeable on colder starts.......

you are bound to get more vlavetrain noise from a cam

Do you hear it in the car or outside the car ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have headers ?

My guess would be its normal and its more noticeable on colder starts.......

you are bound to get more vlavetrain noise from a cam

Do you hear it in the car or outside the car ?
I don't have my headers installed yet, but it is very noticeable outside the car. Its sounds like a high pitch tick for awhile until the car warms up and then it get lower. You can not hear it inside the car at all.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
I don't have my headers installed yet, but it is very noticeable outside the car. Its sounds like a high pitch tick for awhile until the car warms up and then it get lower. You can not hear it inside the car at all.

At this point I would guess its just because its cold......

Certain precautions you could take would be to pull the valve covers off and double check the rods are seated and the rockers are torqued down....

Usually if you have a rod that popped out etc, the car would idle very rough or stall out, which is kind of the reason I think its normal.......

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
When I first installed my cam I had the same issues you did. I still have my MDS lifters too. the dealer said I will have more valve train noise because of the cam and the lifters. I was due for an oil change but wanted to wait till I knew it was running fine just in case I needed to tear it apart again. Well everything has been pretty good with the car. Did my oil change and now I don't have the cold start issue anymore.

There is still more valve noise than before but it is really not that bad. I also went from Royal Purple to Penzoil Ultra, platinum something. The more expensive of the two.

One thing I did try for awhile was running with MDS. DID NOT LIKE IT!! Sounded like butt and idled really rough.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Its due to the colder weather, I have a Spartan cam in mine and I still have my MDS lifters.. Once the colder weather arrives they are a bit noisier.. I also noticed with Mobil 1 they are even noiseir.. I use Penzoil Platinun they are a good bit quieter..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts