Dodge Charger Forum banner

wanting to restore a 68

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tylerandrews 
#1 ·
Ok the other day I checked out a new srt8 392 and the payments were outrageous like 890 a month, so I think for that kind of mony I want my dream car a 68 charger. Ive seen a few on ebay for under 10 but need resteration and thats what im looking for but I dont know how to pay for the resteration and I figure I need to start asking questions because I serious about this. Where do I start, my bank for a loan or start saving.

What im planing for the car is a restomod, with a late model hemi, a/c, disk brakes, modern suspension and tires, just something that can be driven

#2 ·
Tyler, this whole thing is going to depend on how much you can do yourself. How your fabrication skills are,etc. Everything you want to do to the car is doable,by you or a shop set up to build the car for you.

I am in the final stages of completing a 1968 Charger,and a 1970 Challenger. I rent a shop with a hoist,compressor,etc. I replaced the floors,upholstery,my son finished the body work for me. I am putting a 440 in the car because it had a 400 in it when I got it and I have the 440 so we are building the motor to go in it now. Suspension is next and I believe I can do a good portion of that myself. We will have to rent a heated paint booth to paint the car when that time comes. The paint and other materials will be about $2,000.00 our cost to do what we want.

If I had to hire someone to do all of this for me I cannot imagine the total bill. Probably in the neighborhood of $50-60 K and that is just for the Charger. I never considered borrowing money to do the projects. It's just taken a long time and a lot of effort and of course money,but I went at my pace, as I could afford each step of the build. It is very gratifying to see the results of our work.

I hope this helps you decide. I know it's a difficult decision. Good luck!

#3 ·
Im cheering you on as well. The work on my 69 has all but come to a halt due to a work tranfer as well as the family and now kids. However, I still pick up a part or two when i find something and i know its sitting in the middle of the garage(not covered with stuff either) for the occasional moment that i get to play. It's good therapy when you need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.