Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone , so I’ve paid off my 12’ Charger SE and am kind of wanting more now instead of saving up for a hemi swap from Cleveland pap. I was looking into getting all the creature comforts from the R/T road and tracks specifically. I would love the heated and cooled seats and upgraded speakers etc. but my question is basically I have no experience with hemis or any v8s. So,

What are some good engine upgrade recommendations for the 5.7?

What am I to expect coming from a 3.6 to a 5.7?
(Reliability wise [not mpg wise lol])?

I will be transferring over all the parts I can from my car to the R/T and selling the ones i choose to not to use or are incompatible for some upgrade money.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

Bigger smile every time you drive the car.
Extra trip to the gas station. Mileage isn't terrible, but not nearly as good as your 3.6L
Insurance cost could/will go up some
Recommended 89 octane
Very reliable, no worries there.
8-speed transmission is awesome!!! You'll love it.

Reactions: MadMaxx

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Bigger smile every time you drive the car.
Extra trip to the gas station. Mileage isn't terrible, but not nearly as good as your 3.6L
Insurance cost could/will go up some
Recommended 89 octane
Very reliable, no worries there.
8-speed transmission is awesome!!! You'll love it.
Especially coming from a base model to a fully loaded car lol.
But yes I put 93 on both my tuned cars so thats not a problem.
Actually all the cars I’ve been seeing still have the 5 speed like mine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Not to mention good base to start a build...and also the V8 sound and performance...but yeah, like Stevens said, it will def put a smile on your face whenever you go for a drive..especially when you hit the gas!

Also, the '15+ R/T's and up will usually have the 8 speed (which is a phenomenal transmission for our cars, better shifting points and stuff) whereas the '11-'14's came with the 5 speeds....:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to mention good base to start a build...and also the V8 sound and performance...but yeah, like Stevens said, it will def put a smile on your face whenever you go for a drive..especially when you hit the gas!

Also, the '15+ R/T's and up will usually have the 8 speed (which is a phenomenal transmission for our cars, better shifting points and stuff) whereas the '11-'14's came with the 5 speeds....:)
I thought some 12-14 rt and sxt also could possibly come with the 8 speed? My buddy used to have a loaded 12 sxt plus and that had an 8 speed

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I thought some 12-14 rt and sxt also could possibly come with the 8 speed? My buddy used to have a loaded 12 sxt plus and that had an 8 speed
You are right about that...some of the V6 optioned cars came with the 8-speed, but the V8's came w/the 5-speed until 2015...I believe...

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you're talking about a new car or recent new; I have a '17 5.7L Daytona with road and track and it's a nice ride. I can get 30mpg on a trip if I put it in cruise at the speed limit and stay out of the throttle when passing. The 8-speed also contributes to not having any drone if/when you decide to do the mid-muffler delete. The heated/cooled seats are nice, and the Uconnect system is the best out there as far as I am concerned! It's flawless in my car, though some others have had a few glitches. I am an aggressive driver but my tires are still about half worn at 22k miles, though I have not done any burnouts. I added a tazer when I first got it but it has limited usefulness on a non-scatpack car. I still consider it a useful purchase and would do it again.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oh that sound...that sound. V8 rumble! That's what it's all about. I love seat memory and easy exit on mine. Crash collision mitigation has prevented me from rear ending other cars a couple of times. Even though I consider myself a careful driver, nobody's perfect. :) As far as upgrades, I'd look at exhaust - if you get one without the Active exhaust. I believe Active exhaust is standard on the 2017 and up...not sure. My 2015 was too quiet. So I got a cat back upgrade from Solo performance. Love it and no drone. Skip any air intake upgrade, Dodge got the intake right. Just get a serviceable drop in air filter like AFE Pro Dry and call it a day. Other than that, the 5.7 Hemi has all the power I need. If you must have more power, start with a Diablo tuner and custom tune. Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ve got a ‘15 Road & Track. This is the first fully loaded car I’ve owned. It is beyond words for me to explain how nice all the creature comforts are. I could never downgrade and go back to not having all the bells and whistles.
It simply makes driving a very pleasurable experience. Even in this crappy Houston traffic I don’t mind going to and from work.
I think it’s safe to say that you will not regret it in the least! Keep in mind though that gas and insurance costs will more than likely double, depending on where you live.
I can get roughly 310-340 miles from a tank of gas depending how my foot is feeling that week! (Ha).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts