Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wounding if any body has had problems with water getting into the trans. I have now put two transmissions in and they last about a few weeks and then start slipping and wont engage at all. You can turn it off for a few minutes and will go again for a little. The car has been sitting for over a week (gone on vacation) came back and started the same thing. We had lots of rain while we was gone. Didnt know if some how rain is running down windshield and coming down on top of trans and going into the vent on top of it? When the other trans were pulled they had water in them. Any help please.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Good lord, not sure how to help you but I'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those nag ones are known for having problems getting water in them. The most common issue being the seal for the trans dipstick tube. Google it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Now I’m worried! My 2013 has almost 132,000 on it. I wonder how hard it is to replace the transmission fill tube seal? Looks like it is on earlier models? Hopefully not an issue with 2013’s! Here’s the TSB:

TSB 21-003-06 – Transmission shudder or buzzing noise due to water contamination
2005 – 2006 Chrysler 300
2005 – 2006 Dodge Magnum
2005 – 2006 Dodge Charger
Problem – Owners may experience a shudder vibration and/or a high-frequency buzzing sound. This W5A580/NAG1 transmission problem may be most noticeable during light acceleration where partial application of the torque converter clutch happens in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears. The reason this happens is because water has gotten past the transmission oil fill tube/dipstick seal. Contaminated transmission fluid can cause the TCC to stick and/or slip.

Solution – If the contaminated transmission fluid has not caused a lot of damage, the transmission and torque converter may be able to be flushed to cure the problem. However, if the contamination is severe, the torque converter will need to be replaced, and the transmission inspected for signs of other damage. The transmission fill tube seal will also need to be Problem – Owners may experience a shudder vibration and/or a high-frequency buzzing sound. This W5A580/NAG1 transmission problem may be most noticeable during light acceleration where partial application of the torque converter clutch happens in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears. The reason this happens is because water has gotten past the transmission oil fill tube/dipstick seal. Contaminated transmission fluid can cause the TCC to stick and/or slip.

Solution – If the contaminated transmission fluid has not caused a lot of damage, the transmission and torque converter may be able to be flushed to cure the problem. However, if the contamination is severe, the torque converter will need to be replaced, and the transmission inspected for signs of other damage. The transmission fill tube seal will also need to be upgraded

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have poured water down windshield and can watch water run down top of trans and go into vent on top of trans.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The water runs down into the vent tube? If so, why dont you just reroute the vent hose? Would be a simple solution. I have an 06 mango daytona. Have done a lot of research on them. I know water intrusion was one of the biggest issues but it was because of the o-ring on the dipstick tube and that it takes very little to ruin the trans in these cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The water runs down into the vent tube? If so, why dont you just reroute the vent hose? Would be a simple solution. I have an 06 mango daytona. Have done a lot of research on them. I know water intrusion was one of the biggest issues but it was because of the o-ring on the dipstick tube and that it takes very little to ruin the trans in these cars.
Its not a tube but a cap with vents around it on top and center of trans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of this seal I'm having the same problem on my 2010 sxt and I showed my mechanic what has been said in this forum and would like to show him what the seal looks like

·
Registered
806 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of this seal I'm having the same problem on my 2010 sxt and I showed my mechanic what has been said in this forum and would like to show him what the seal looks like
The fix for this problem dates back to 2005, so it might be hard to find a picture. It's the transmission dipstick o-ring. Chrysler TSB 21-011-05 calls for thoroughly flushing the NAG1 (W5A580) transmission of any water contamination, replacing the transmission filter, and applying RTV sealant around the base of the transmission fill tube to prevent water intrusion past the fill tube seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fix for this problem dates back to 2005, so it might be hard to find a picture. It's the transmission dipstick o-ring. Chrysler TSB 21-011-05 calls for thoroughly flushing the NAG1 (W5A580) transmission of any water contamination, replacing the transmission filter, and applying RTV sealant around the base of the transmission fill tube to prevent water intrusion past the fill tube seal.
Thanks soooooo much man, my heart dropped when I got the news earlier

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks soooooo much man, my heart dropped when I got the news earlier
As long as the contamination hasn't gotten to the point where there's permanent damage, a flush and refill with a little sealant around the fill tube should do the trick.

·
Registered
645 Posts
As long as the contamination hasn't gotten to the point where there's permanent damage, a flush and refill with a little sealant around the fill tube should do the trick.
I'm wondering if it is safe to do a flush on his old transmission?
Would it be better to just let it drain and replace the lost fluid; repeat again after a few thousand miles - just in case?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm wondering if it is safe to do a flush on his old transmission?
Would it be better to just let it drain and replace the lost fluid; repeat again after a few thousand miles - just in case?
I'm not sure exactly what kind of flush Dodge is suggesting, I was just paraphrasing from the TSB.

If it were me, I'd do a pan drop, new filter, and perform a passive flush. One line in a bucket of fresh fluid, the other in an empty bucket, letting the trans pump do the work. When the output comes out clean, you're done.

That's been my go-to method on pretty much every automatic I've ever owned, including three NAG1s. I think it's a power flush with a machine that's more likely to disturb static dirt and deposits, put them into circulation, and potentially lead to problems.

But you gotta go with your own comfort level. OP could go the route you're suggesting if they like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts