Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious what it can be used for. From what I understand, you need a code to unlock it for computer use? It is supposed to allow for video inputs also, but there just isn’t a lot of info on this type of screen. Anyone gave first hand knowledge on the functionality of this screen? Is it useful and useable for civilian use? Perhaps hook a computer up to it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
IT is a VNC remote desktop system. You have to have a special license Key from FCA to use it. I have not heard or seen anyone actually getting any use out of it what so ever in the civilian market.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT is a VNC remote desktop system. You have to have a special license Key from FCA to use it. I have not heard or seen anyone actually getting any use out of it what so ever in the civilian market.
VNC is available to everyone. Is it something special for this specific screen? Are there any input features that can be used?

·
Registered
360 Posts
VNC is available to everyone. Is it something special for this specific screen? Are there any input features that can be used?
It is specfic to Fleet / Police use only. As stated, I have not seen anoyone do anything with it due to this. I have been put under the impression you have to prove to FCA you are a fleet / police end user before you can even get it.

As civilians playing on remote desktop in a car is lawsuit ready to happen.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is specfic to Fleet / Police use only. As stated, I have not seen anoyone do anything with it due to this. I have been put under the impression you have to prove to FCA you are a fleet / police end user before you can even get it.

As civilians playing on remote desktop in a car is lawsuit ready to happen.
I’m just wondering how VNC would be specifically locked to a monitor. All that real estate and nothing to use on it. The cars are available to the public with that screen so it doesn’t seem right to lock it up since people will pay a premium for a large screen. It’s not like they can remove it and put in the 8”

·
Registered
360 Posts
I’m just wondering how VNC would be specifically locked to a monitor. All that real estate and nothing to use on it. The cars are available to the public with that screen so it doesn’t seem right to lock it up since people will pay a premium for a large screen. It’s not like they can remove it and put in the 8”
Seeing that a woman sued a RV builder cause she wrecked sitting the cruise control and got up left the seat, and won. That is why FCA locked it out. Liability. General public has no business needing remote PC access in a car.

Anyone who gets the screen without doing proper research, well. That is on them. Do the homework.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seeing that a woman sued a RV builder cause she wrecked sitting the cruise control and got up left the seat, and won. That is why FCA locked it out. Liability. General public has no business needing remote PC access in a car.

Anyone who gets the screen without doing proper research, well. That is on them. Do the homework.
Stupid people ruin it for everyone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

...and Im sorry to ask, but do you know this information as 100% fact, or is it best guess based on......?

·
Registered
360 Posts
...and Im sorry to ask, but do you know this information as 100% fact, or is it best guess based on......?
I recall reading about the requirement of a license through the 12.1 users guide as well as a Pursuit upfitters book at some point.

Like a lot of "facts", it is based on observation far as anyone getting use out of it. The amount of 12.1 screens in civiy hands is extremely low, and even then amount fo people with those cars with any intrest enough to put the effort into trying to get it to work is possibly even lower.

So really, it's Schrödinger's Screen. Aka it is has both been made usable by a non fleet / police end user, and also has not. Until we have viable proof we can only go off what the documents say.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recall reading about the requirement of a license through the 12.1 users guide as well as a Pursuit upfitters book at some point.

Like a lot of "facts", it is based on observation far as anyone getting use out of it. The amount of 12.1 screens in civiy hands is extremely low, and even then amount fo people with those cars with any intrest enough to put the effort into trying to get it to work is possibly even lower.

So really, it's Schrödinger's Screen. Aka it is has both been made usable by a non fleet / police end user, and also has not. Until we have viable proof we can only go off what the documents say.
FCA said it can’t be used without a code. I inquired about even plugging in a forward facing camera or SOMETHING and they said no. Basically you can use 8.4” of the top screen for radio and HVAC controls and backup camera. What a way to kill the value and ruin the 2nd hand market FCA.

·
Registered
360 Posts
FCA said it can’t be used without a code. I inquired about even plugging in a forward facing camera or SOMETHING and they said no. Basically you can use 8.4” of the top screen for radio and HVAC controls and backup camera. What a way to kill the value and ruin the 2nd hand market FCA.
Tried to tell ya.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I remember reading the same thing about it. Probably somewhere in the upfitter guide or one of the brochures. Almost seems like a dumb option when it's cheaper to use an add on screen or laptop like they were doing before anyway that can be used over and over again in other vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts