Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Sorry if this was already covered, however, I didn't see it when doing a search. I'm interested in upgrading my headlights in my 2015 Charger Scat Pack to OEM factory HID including the headlights (not interested in putting in cheap EBAY HID bulbs in my factory setup). below you will find a link to a pair of headlights hat include HID bulbs that I plan on purchasing. I want to know if I would need anything else. I did the exact same thing to my 06 Mustang GT and I needed to purchase a separate harness for the factory HID upgrades. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I’ve had two chargers since 09 and been here since. Never seen anyone been able to do an OEM HID upgrade.

But try this. Find a used ballast, HID plugs and bulb and connect it and see if it works. If so continue w the build. If not return the items. Worth a shot. Maybe the harness’ are the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a factory option. I'm sure it can be done but I'm not 100% sure how.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I know with my OEMs on my 13. The harness plugs into the housing and the lower end models seems to use the same set up minus the ballast, ballast to HID and the HID bulb. So like I said. Go on eBay. Find a used ballast, bulb and ballast to bulb wire and plug em it and see what happens

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I looked at the 15+ HID housing and the halogen housings. The HID ones uses a grey plug while the halogen ones use black. I don’t if they’re wired up the same or not.

3BF362F0-0C78-433D-9215-CD908A121E9F.jpeg
HID

0BF18699-4DC0-46CC-8DFD-C611923445EA.jpeg
Halogen

·
Registered
534 Posts
You'll likely need either AlfaOBD, DiagFCA, or a dealer to change your configuration options in order to avoid issues like DTCs or "bulb out" errors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll likely need either AlfaOBD,

, or a dealer to change your configuration options in order to avoid issues like DTCs or "bulb out" errors.
You think it would set off a DTC? I was more worried about not having enough power. I know when I did this to my Mustang, I need to purchase a harness.

Here ya go

So you think I just get this and call it a day? Or would I still need the housing that I originally linked?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've been searching a while, and it looks like LEDs are the way to go. A simple plug and play, using the same housing, for mine. Watch the video at Diode Dynamics for more. You can find good, and highly rated, ones on Amazon under $100.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've been searching a while, and it looks like LEDs are the way to go. A simple plug and play, using the same housing, for mine. Watch the video at Diode Dynamics for more. You can find good, and highly rated, ones on Amazon under $100.
I tried those and they are no brighter than the halogens, just a nicer color. However, I wasn't looking for a nicer color, I was looking for much brighter lights. I went with HID kit, yes, off ebay! The company is no longer selling the kit, probably because the plugs didn't fit properly unless one held one's mouth just so, causing too many calls to support. However, once I got them working the output is at least X2 if not X3 the factory halogen projectors. I didn this about a year ago and have had zero issues. But suit yourself!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked at the 15+ HID housing and the halogen housings. The HID ones uses a grey plug while the halogen ones use black. I don’t if they’re wired up the same or not.

View attachment 118901
HID

View attachment 118902
Halogen
I have the same problem with the different plugins. I bought the hid instead of the halogen light assembly and if you force the plug on I get everything but the headlights. Can't figure out how to get them to work,any clues or answers?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I upgraded to the brighter Halogen bulbs, and had to modify the top tab to get them to lock in properly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I tried those and they are no brighter than the halogens, just a nicer color. However, I wasn't looking for a nicer color, I was looking for much brighter lights. I went with HID kit, yes, off ebay! The company is no longer selling the kit, probably because the plugs didn't fit properly unless one held one's mouth just so, causing too many calls to support. However, once I got them working the output is at least X2 if not X3 the factory halogen projectors. I didn this about a year ago and have had zero issues. But suit yourself!
Update! These lasted about two years, then the left one went out. I found some replacements online with the same plugs and replaced the one that blew, not wanting to fool with that right one that is so hard to replace! So, the left one worked and everything was rosy. Until couple weeks later when the other one blew. I replaced the right bulb, but it still didn't work. I swapped it over to the driver's side to see if it was the ballast and it still didn't work, so I put the other bulb back in the driver's side. Yeah, you guessed it, now neither of them work, and no amount of coaching could get them working. So, I heard that LED's were better now with two more years of science to help them along. I pulled the trigger on some on Amazon that got good reviews and went without lights for a couple days. I removed the ballasts that went with the HID's and put the LED's in, crossing my fingers. Unholy guacamole, they work! And they are nearly as bright as the HID's. Success! Now I just have to see how long they last. These are the ones I got: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPMMNR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update! These lasted about two years, then the left one went out. I found some replacements online with the same plugs and replaced the one that blew, not wanting to fool with that right one that is so hard to replace! So, the left one worked and everything was rosy. Until couple weeks later when the other one blew. I replaced the right bulb, but it still didn't work. I swapped it over to the driver's side to see if it was the ballast and it still didn't work, so I put the other bulb back in the driver's side. Yeah, you guessed it, now neither of them work, and no amount of coaching could get them working. So, I heard that LED's were better now with two more years of science to help them along. I pulled the trigger on some on Amazon that got good reviews and went without lights for a couple days. I removed the ballasts that went with the HID's and put the LED's in, crossing my fingers. Unholy guacamole, they work! And they are nearly as bright as the HID's. Success! Now I just have to see how long they last. These are the ones I got: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPMMNR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Any updates on these? I hate the LED I got a while back. They did a worse job then the OEM as far as lighting up the road.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Any updates on these? I hate the LED I got a while back. They did a worse job then the OEM as far as lighting up the road.
Yeah, I tried LED's a couple years ago and they were whiter, sure, but not even as bright as the stock halogens. I still love these LED's. No issues so far!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I tried LED's a couple years ago and they were whiter, sure, but not even as bright as the stock halogens. I still love these LED's. No issues so far!
Awesome! And do they light up the road better then the OEM?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Awesome! And do they light up the road better then the OEM?
They are almost as bright as the HID's I had until they burned out. So, yes, they are much brighter than the halogen OEM's. A little history; I was an early adopter of brighter headlights. After reading articles in Car and Driver I got my first set of aftermarket Halogen headlights, I think they were Hella, on my '76 Rabbit. This was in the days when they were still not legal but no one cared. I have been a brighter headlight proponent ever since. So when I say they are good it means they are good. I would say I can see twice as far with these than stock halogens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts