Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I'm new here and I just joined the Dodge community since I got my Charger 3 weeks ago. I'm so happy with the car so far. I'm from the middle east and the temperature here reach 45C.

I'm thinking to use viscosity 5W30 but the owner manual recommend to use 5W20. I'm not comfortable with using 5W20 because I feel it's very low since the weather here is so hot and I think 5W30 would be more suitable.

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,571 Posts
Greetings All,

I'm new here and I just joined the Dodge community since I got my Charger 3 weeks ago. I'm so happy with the car so far. I'm from the middle east and the temperature here reach 45C.

I'm thinking to use viscosity 5W30 but the owner manual recommend to use 5W20. I'm not comfortable with using 5W20 because I feel it's very low since the weather here is so hot and I think 5W30 would be more suitable.

What do you think guys?
Use what manual says. Very hot here in Arizona and I always use the recommended oil. It is that spec because the oil needs to run VVT and MDS.

Reactions: MoayadGH

·
Registered
946 Posts
Greetings All,

What do you think guys?
What do you drive?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed. 20 weight is too thin. I use 0-30 in the 5.7 year round. 0 for pump-ability at start up and 30 for high heat. I use Amsoil Signature Synthetic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use what manual says. Very hot here in Arizona and I always use the recommended oil. It is that spec because the oil needs to run VVT and MDS.
The manual says I should use 5W20 but it says after 75000 miles. I should use thicker viscosity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. 20 weight is too thin. I use 0-30 in the 5.7 year round. 0 for pump-ability at start up and 30 for high heat. I use Amsoil Signature Synthetic.
Indeed. Sometimes weather gets crazy here and it reaches 50C in some days. I'm thinking of using Castrol Edge 5W30 or Pennzoil 5W30

·
Registered
946 Posts
Indeed. Sometimes weather gets crazy here and it reaches 50C in some days. I'm thinking of using Castrol Edge 5W30 or Pennzoil 5W30
You don't mention whether or not your car is under warranty. If it is, and you use anything other than what the manual specifies, you could have issues with a warranty repair down the road.

My suggestion would be to use a high quality 5w-20 full synthetic that meets or exceeds MS6395 specs. If Shell Helix Ultra is available in Saudi, that's an excellent choice. Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are also MS6395 certified.

If your Charger is out of warranty, you would probably be safe running 5w-30, but I'd urge you to do some research first. If memory serves, 5w-30 has been recommended for that same engine in other parts of the world in other applications.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't mention whether or not your car is under warranty. If it is, and you use anything other than what the manual specifies, you could have issues with a warranty repair down the road.

My suggestion would be to use a high quality 5w-20 full synthetic that meets or exceeds MD6395 specs. If Shell Helix Ultra is available in Saudi, that's an excellent choice. Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are also MS6395 certified.

If your Charger is out of warranty, you would probably be safe running 5w-30, but I'd urge you to do some research first. If memory serves, 5w-30 has been recommended for that same engine in other parts of the world in other applications.
Thanks Carl for your reply.

Yes my car currently under warranty. But the thing is that the dealer here is using Mopar 5W20 and this oil is making and many cars start make sounds (Hydraulic Lifter noise) from the engine after 60,000 or 50,000 miles because it's very thine for this weather here. And to keep the warranty, the dealer is forcing costumers to do the maintenance in the dealer. It's expensive and bad.

Is Shell Helix better than Castrol Edge?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the noise I mean in the following video

If I use thin oil as recommend in the manual. I'm afraid my car engine will start making this sound after 60,000 miles.

I asked many charger owners in my city and a lot of them started to hear this noise and they are using the factory oil which is Mopar 5W20.

That's why I want to use thicker viscosity.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks Carl for your reply.

Yes my car currently under warranty. But the thing is that the dealer here is using Mopar 5W20 and this oil is making and many cars start make sounds (Hydraulic Lifter noise) from the engine after 60,000 or 50,000 miles because it's very thine for this weather here. And to keep the warranty, the dealer is forcing costumers to do the maintenance in the dealer. It's expensive and bad.

Is Shell Helix better than Castrol Edge?
I wouldn't characterize 5w20 as a "thin" oil. It's certainly "thinner" in comparison to, say, 10w40 or 20w50. But it's not thin in the context of what your engine is designed for.

With that said, I understand your concern. All other things being equal, a 5w30 oil will generally be able to handle extreme high temperatures better than a 5w20. And in some applications, 5w30 has been specified for the Pentastar at one time or another. I think that's a pretty fair indication that you aren't likely to run into an issue with 5w30, if you have your heart set on it. A few points to consider;

If your car was built for the Middle Eastern market, it may have a Severe Duty II or possibly even a Maximum Duty radiator. So I'm not at all sure that even with 45ºC ambient temp, your engine is really running any hotter than a US-market car.

I'd have to see some convincing evidence before I would believe that the oil recommended by the manufacturer, in this case 5w20, is causing permanent damage leading to chronic lifter noise in the 3.6.

I like Shell Helix, but any 100% synthetic that's available in Saudi should be fine, as long as it's MS6395 certified. I personally would stick with 5w20, at least until the car is out of warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts