Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 70,000 miles on my 2015 R/T. Shocks are starting to wear out. I'd like more of a touring/softer ride as I drive mine 75 miles a day round trip. I'm thinking about installing Bilstein shocks all the way around. Would the Bilsteins make it smoother or should I stick with the OEM shocks?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have them on my 2013 R/T Plus and enjoy them. I'm not lowered. Put them on @70k , now have 120k, they still ride like the day I put them on.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have them on my 2013 R/T Plus and enjoy them. I'm not lowered. Put them on @70k , now have 120k, they still ride like the day I put them on.
Cool! How is the ride? Would you say it's "softer"?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The car has the SDD Sport Suspension sales code. Doing exploratory parts searches on MOPAR sites I found things like sway bar bushings for the car listed in 2 options, performance or touring, so the SDD Sport Suspension would be firmer.
That said I found the Bilsteins to have a more controlled ride and no firmer than the OE. I suspect the OE shocks @70k were not worn out.

Here are my p/n for my 2013 R/T Plus

Bilstein B6 Performance Shocks & Struts:
Strut, Front Left 24-199445
Strut, Front Right 24-199452
Rear Shocks, 24-216951

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've got the Bilstein B6s also.

I definitely wouldn't call them "smoother". I'd say firmer and better controlled. I like them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still want a little sport feel, just a little more in the softer direction - hard to explain. Anyway, I decided to go for the Monroe quick strut. Between Bilstein and Monroe, I figured the Monroe was more for the daily driver. I've read so many reviews on shocks and struts that my brain hurts, LOL. Monroe gets a mixed bag of reviews, all the way from they are junk to they are the best ever. I'll post up my review here after I get them installed, prolly next weekend.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Looking forward to your report back. Please take a drive soon before the install over the same a surfaces including rail road crossings and such and let us know.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I never got my quick struts. I got an email saying my package was damaged during shipping. It's getting sent back with a refund. Maybe it was a sign to not go with Monroe. LOL. I'm rethinking the Bilsteins. I'll post up a review when/if I do.

Reactions: gapi

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I ended up going with OEM on the front shocks. I decided not to do the rears. While I was at it, I replaced the lower control arms and upper insulators. The ride and handling are no different, but my clunks over bumps at low speeds are gone. Also, my pop is gone that would happen backing out of my garage every now and then. So very pleased. I used moparonlineparts, a vendor on here, for shocks and insulators. Good service. I ordered Moogs on the lower control arms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts