Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who own a Predator or Trinity, what tune do you use when you can not find 93 Octane fuel. All I have found in Hawaii is 92. What tune should I use, 91 / 93?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
I tell yeah, I have a 08 5.7 Ram that I was running the 93 tune in, I was playing around with the tunes I went to the 91 witch I did not like at all to the 87 performance tune. I can't tell any difference between the 93 or the 87 performance tune except the money that I get to keep in my wallet each week. If you have 87 over there give the 87 performance tune a try.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
For those of you who own a Predator or Trinity, what tune do you use when you can not find 93 Octane fuel. All I have found in Hawaii is 92. What tune should I use, 91 / 93?

Thanks
Definitely do not run the 93 octane using 92 octane gas. Your car will pull timing hurting your performance. I've seen more than one dyno sheet where someone makes a stock run, then does a performance run with the predator on the 93 tune... and performance stays the same or worsens because knock retard (KR) kicks in. This is most common on SRT8's as their heads and intake suck air in better than the RT... which can make them run lean on the default 93 CAI tune, which means KR kicks in.

The only actual difference between the 91 octane tune and the 93 is two degrees of timing. So if you want a 92 octane tune, use the 91 octane tune, and advance the timing it one degree...

You can also run the 87 octane tune, but your leaving performance on the table. Diablosport has LOTS of helpful information on their website, and the Predator forum here has lots of useful information as well.

Edit: BTW, a hint as to whether or not your car needs the Predator tune adjusted is the gas mileage. If your tune is too aggressive your gas mileage will down. A properly tuned car will get better gas mileage and power. There are SRT's out there that dyno 400rwhp (corrected of course) with just a CAI+Predator+custom tune.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts