Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a dual exhaust mod for quite some time. However I am not sure what is real gain i can get from this mod. Please lecture me if you know!

1. Does it help improving performance in junction with a CAI? I have an aFe stage 2. How much more HP would I probably get from dual exhaust.

2. I prefer silence over loudness. Just want to make my ride silent and powerful. Will the dual exhaust bring too much noise?

3. Most people told me my best bet is gonna be a R/T exhaust. So do I have to change the exhaust system completely on my car? (I mean all the way from engine)

4. What's gonna be the effect of MPG? Decrease or increase for our V6 Chargers?

Thanks!:TU:

·
Registered
240 Posts
1. If you do a true dual with a x pipe, you can see some improvement, but dont expect a lot of difference. The exhaust will help with the intake somewhat. All mods seem to work a little better with other mods, i.e. the more mods, the better they all function together.
2. dual exhaust can bring loudness, if you choose. if you get the r/t exhaust you can choose to keep the resonators on it. the resonators can muffle the sound if you choose, but if you take the resonators off, you can get a little rumble.
3. You would have to change the exhaust from the catalytic converters back, (hence the name "cat back"). The headers and cats can stay, just the rest of the exhaust will be changed out, if you go true dual.
4. Im not exactly sure about the effect of MPG to be honest. I dont think you will see much of a change but maybe someone else on here can help chime in for this one.
Have fun with the exhaust!!

Reactions: trainedkilla

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
1. If you do a true dual with a x pipe, you can see some improvement, but dont expect a lot of difference. The exhaust will help with the intake somewhat. All mods seem to work a little better with other mods, i.e. the more mods, the better they all function together.
2. dual exhaust can bring loudness, if you choose. if you get the r/t exhaust you can choose to keep the resonators on it. the resonators can muffle the sound if you choose, but if you take the resonators off, you can get a little rumble.
3. You would have to change the exhaust from the catalytic converters back, (hence the name "cat back"). The headers and cats can stay, just the rest of the exhaust will be changed out, if you go true dual.
4. Im not exactly sure about the effect of MPG to be honest. I dont think you will see much of a change but maybe someone else on here can help chime in for this one.
Have fun with the exhaust!!
Good post! REPs!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
ur not gunna get dat much, i installd true duals w/ xpipe and dyno results were about 10 hp, and u get a little more mileage but hardly

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Your biggest gain is that it allows the car to breathe better and the result is more horsepower.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm going to agree with everyone else, but another thing you'll get out of dual exhaust is setup for larger/more powerful mods. That is if you are planning on doing more serious mods. If you plan on forced induction, the stock exhaust will hinder the effects of such a modification. Freeing up your exhaust can be one of the first steps in creating a serious power plant. I have a dual exhaust. Some might argue wether or not is true duals, but the Daytona stock suitcase has two individual perforated pipes running through it along with the true x-pipe. I did see a very slight increase in everything (i.e. mileage and performance) but I also did the upgrade for looks. I love the look of two pipes out the back.

Good luck with your choice and please keep looking through these forums. There is a plethora of information about these wonderful cars.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ive also heard you have to becareful when going true dual because some say it causes you to loose too much back pressure?
as long as you keep you pipes small in diameter (2.25"-2.5") and if you use an x pipe, pressure will remain ok. Now if you go any larger in size, you can lose your back pressure. There might be a loss of a little with true duals though, just something you might have to deal with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im, new to the site but I need help with my 09 Charger. My plans is to add a K&N filter, Dual exhaust. Do i need a power programmer?

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
8,049 Posts
You also may want to grab a tuner to enhance your results. Most if not ALL performance mods work best with a tuner

·
Registered
1 Posts
agreed

ur not gunna get dat much, i installd true duals w/ xpipe and dyno results were about 10 hp, and u get a little more mileage but hardly
I had the dynomax cat back put on a couple weeks ago, i too noticed a slight increase in hp and i seem to be hitting around 30-32 mpg highway. idk, its a pretty quiet true dual system...im thinking about swapping the mufflers out for glasspacks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
People tend to confuse "back pressure" with "flow." Losing back pressure is always good. Getting rid of it entirely is good. Back pressure is bad.

When you go bigger than 2.5" exhaust you increase the flow of the exhaust. That is why you're performance sucks. Same thing if you go down to a 2" exhaust. You're literally choking your car ie. "back pressure." Think of a garden hose with the water running. The hose with the water running is a 3" exhaust. However when you slightly kink it what happens? The speed of the water increases dramatically. That is your 2.5" exhaust. Now take the hose and completely bend it. What happens? It drips water out or even completely stops. That is your 2" exhaust (back pressure).

Any modification you do to the exhaust will increase performance and mileage. However, it is minimal and the less you do the less you'll get out of it. As others have said, a true dual with an x-pipe will give you the most performance as another member said in the 10hp range. If all you did was delete the resos, well you'll still "increase" performance but it's gonna be maybe 1hp so see you still are increasing performance.....just alot of work for nothing unless sound is your thing. If compared to an R/T exhaust, an aftermarket exhaust will generally be alot lighter so yeah your gas mileage overall will improve because of the weight reduction and increase in flow. Now, is it gonna be OMG?! Well, that depends on you. If you expect little then yes and if you have great expectations then you will be sadly disappointed.

I tend to agree with other members that it's a pyramid process in which all mods work better with the next mod. What you decide to do is up to you and your pocketbook. Me, I tend to always do the CAI first simply cause it's the cheapest mod. Some guys it's the exhaust because of sound. Others go tuner first (it really is the best bang for your buck). Other go headers first usually because it's the most difficult to do. To each their own.

The process is like life.....a journey! So make it the best one when modding. It's all part of the process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts