Dodge Charger Forum banner

Wheel spacers??

35K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Calliexu 
#1 ·
Thinking of puttin wheel spacers on my 16 rt with the stock wheels!! Any suggestions & does any one has them?

#2 ·
Ideally, if you are going this route, then you should be looking for "hubcentric" spacers to avoid vibrations; this is overall more proper but a bit on the larger side. A small, universal "slide on" spacer may work if this is simply for aesthetics, but people are on both sides of the fence about this. One member here with our wheels in a square fitment used a small spacer in the rear, and this was many, many months ago without any issues. Hopefully our $0.02 helps! haha

-AL of SDTW Direct

#4 ·
Just beware of where you buy them. I would strongly suggest name brands. I bought a set of four off Amazon and after putting them on my son was driving behind me and saw that the rear wheels were wobbling. Ended up being that two of them (both on the rear) were not cut evenly, thus causing the wobble. I documented everything and sent them back. They insisted I did something wrong (install) but after checking they found that they were indeed off. Got my money back. Went with name brand. 1.25" in back and 1" in front. Looks great and no problems yet. Its been about a year and a half now.

#6 · (Edited)
Ideally, if you are going this route, then you should be looking for "hubcentric" spacers to avoid vibrations; this is overall more proper but a bit on the larger side. A small, universal "slide on" spacer may work if this is simply for aesthetics, but people are on both sides of the fence about this. One member here with our wheels in a square fitment used a small spacer in the rear, and this was many, many months ago without any issues. Hopefully our $0.02 helps! haha

-AL of SDTW Direct
Just alittle curious as to why hubcentric is better.....just curious

Thinking about this setup on the attached pic......would this work?

Attachments

#7 ·
If you take off your wheel. You will see a lip in the middle wher your wheel sits on and helps from vibration or running loosely on the hub. If you run a non-Hubcentric spacer..you run the risk of vibration a certain speeds which could result in loosening of the lug nuts and wheel falling off.

#8 ·
Just be careful on going with 2 inches. Further you go, the more strain you are putting in the hub bearing. That is a good set up though. I would double check the hub bore, thought it was 74.1...maybe im wrong...Have you ever bought after market wheels? That they didn't match up to your hub bore and had to get a wheel ring for it? If you haven't, then that is how it works to ensure proper fitment on the hub.

#11 ·
Ok thanks....so what is the ideal fitment?

Here is this setup again
  • Spacer Width: 50mm (2 Inch) each side
  • Quantity: 4 Pieces
  • Bolt Pattern: 5X114.3 to 5X114.3 (Equivalent to 5x4.5" Inch)
  • Center Bore: 71.5mm
  • Thread Pitch: 14mm X 1.5
  • Spacer Type: Hub Centric w/Hub Lip
  • This spacer set includes open end lug nuts to secure the spacers onto your factory hubs
Thanks

Stevens12
also, I am not aware of any law like that here where I live...we do not have any inspections...(that im aware of)

#9 ·
Also, something to think about is local laws. I know PA doesn't allow the use of wheel spacers. For inspection, you'd have to remove them in Pa so you can pass.

#12 ·
Hey Gmatriix, here is a good video to show how to measure getting the right width. But it's always person preference.

But you are right on the hub bore. My fault, must be thinking about my last car haha. Watch that video and get an idea of if you go 2 inches where your wheels are going to set. I have 1.5 all the way around and they stick out just enough, but for me though and just be careful going over pot holes if possible. Also do you know what material they are made out of? Want to shot for the T6 6106 or close to it. I think there is a 6222 T6 also, but always went with the 6106 and never ran into any issues of it cracking or breaking apart.

#14 ·
#16 ·
It's funny that I just read a review of the spacers that I bought from Amazon. Unknown to me at the time, the spacers that I bought does NOT have the lip inside near the hub to "center" the wheel onto it. I guess I am lucky (so far) that I don't have issues with wobbling.

You tube videos show a guy that has the same spacers that cracked when he torqued it down.

Needless to say, I may order another set from a more reliable company just to be safe.

It's been almost a year since I installed it and so far no issues.

Ill post pics when I get home.

#19 ·
They look good bro!

Hopefully it will make the wheel gap look a little better. If not then...eibach pro here we come...lol

#24 ·
Hubcentric is not so much about centering the wheel as it is about having the weight of the car supported by the lip on the hub and not the wheel studs. The wheel is going to center when you tighten the lug nuts regardless of whether the ring is there or not. The idea is that the wheel studs should only be clamping the wheel to the hub and not subjected to shear force as well, the hub ring takes the shear force.

#25 ·
2 inches seems to have the tire sticking a little past the quarter panel. Does anyone have a pic of how 1.5 inch spacers look? I'm probably going to get a little wider tire when I get new tires so I don't want to go beyond the edge of the quarter panel with spacers. Thanks!

#29 ·
Here a pic of 1.5....tried to get a better picture but it does not give it justice....luv the stance now....bull dog style.....I get a tiny bit of vibration up over 100mph...other than that .....smooth as before...

I took the wheels off again this weekend to ensure that everything was staying put and everything is still torqued up to spec.

Burnouts are normal and cornering is much better obviously.....it def looks meaner....

now time for tint, tune and maybe eibach pro springs..... Gotta make these 18s work!!!

oh and doctor rock chip kit....I am getting nailed on the highway to and from work..lol

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel Car

Reactions: Cuseman2008
#31 ·
yeah alittle ....but imo they stick out just enough....anymore and it would start to look like a toy car....

#34 ·
I've had my 30mm spacers along with my drop on Mopar springs for nearly years now, no issues and I love the look

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.