Dodge Charger Forum banner

Which brand of gas do you prefer for your Charger?

• Shell

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • BP

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • ExxonMobil

Votes: 19 10.8%
  • Chevron

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • Citgo

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Casey's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Meijer

• Wal-Mart

• 7-eleven

• (Other non-listed or local stations)

Votes: 59 33.5%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Was using BP on my 08 Daytona. Changed to Exon-Mobil and noticed better pickup. Now I only use Ex-M0 on my Jeep and 12 SRT. Oh, BTW...I behalf of Chevron, my employer, I would like to thank the 7 who use Chevron.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I run Chevron 91 (this is the premium in my area).

I just like the gas and it feels like it runs smoother than mobil, arco, 76, etc.

I have not tried Shell yet, but from the prices i've seen, theyre usually 8-11cents more expensive than chevron for the same 91 octane fuel...

Is there really a difference between chevron and shell? I also like chevron bc they have techron in it so it keep the injectors clean :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you are in an area like me, then ALL service stations are served by the same refinery, so it makes absolutely no difference which one you buy from, just get the cheapest one. If you live in an area with a high population and served by multiple refineries, then at least you have a choice. Keep in mind that the "no name" stations all still buy from one of the major refineries, they don't refine the gas themselves, they will buy from whichever refinery will sell it to them cheapest that week. Today it might have come from a Shell refinery, and next week it comes from BP. You'll likely never know.

I question many of these "additives" that are supposedly added to gas, as well. I think it's all just a load of BS. And the fact that franchise stations and areas served by a single refinery are all using the exact same gas should make it illegal for them to even advertise as having special additives to their gas when they obviously don't.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
AAFES on post has worked perfectly for me over six years now!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
No one mentioned Sunoco. It is the official fuel of Nascar you know. :D Other than that, I'll use Exxon as well.

Reactions: User Name

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Sunoco-its popular here and Shell-

·
Registered
630 Posts
ExxonMobil is good and my number one. Sunoco is also great gas and you can get the 93 octane. If I can't get to one of these a new clean and well kept station is my choice. I've found the appearance tells a lot if the gas is bad or will have water or something. I've also seen how there are a lot of other chains of gas in different parts of the country. I hear Phillips66 (I think that's what it's called) is good but they aren't on the east coast...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shell all the way. Its true about the refinery supply. But my charger always had a stink-in engine code on all except shell. so shell it is.....:) (Freaking stations watering down there gas probably.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to post here, this is an important subgject as I think a lot of people dont understand how the gas station thing works.

First, it will depend on where you live. If you stop in at a local, privately owned station(can be a big name, just not owned by some big chain) you can likely get an answer as to where the gas they sell comes from. What I mean is, which depot. For instance, I live in the northeast WI area. gas in any station here comes from green Bay, OR Junction City which is over in the middle of the state south of Wausau. Anyway-

If you know which depot the gas comes from, it is likely you can find out which refinery pumps gas to that depot. For instance, the depot in GB here has gas from 3 suppliers, well, used to, they are down to 2 recently. The stations i frequent dont get gas from Junction, so I am not sure how many refinery pump gas there.

What this means is, even if you have like 15 stations/brads in your town, if there are only 3 suppliers, guess what?

Now there can be other differences, mostly related to how well the stations manage their tanks.

Item one: Ethanol. In WI, stations can put that crap up to 10% in their gas. Some people dont know, but unless your engine is specifically tuned for ethanol, you will lose power and for sure mpg. Even if you have a car tuned for it, you will probably lose mpg anyway. Ethanol also alters octane, which allows really crappy octane gas to be altered into sale-able fuel.

Now, as far as octane ratings go- low grade(87) is usually the junk grade which has a full 10% ethanol in it to make it sale-able.
91, which used to be 93, has, or maybe had now I need to look, ZERO percent ethanol.
Mid grade- 89 octane. Most people dont know that mid grade is simply a 50/50(or thereabouts) mix of 87 and 91/3 gas. The pump just alternates it in for you.

This is important because you should look at it like this:
87 octane= poor fuel helped out by ethanol

89 octane= half poor fuel and half good fuel. This means (in WI) if there is 10% ethanol in 87, there should be only about 5% in 89

91 octane= fuel good enough to stand on it's own with zero ethanol added.

If you drive an older car, you will see better mpg out of 91. you will need to see if it is worth the cost.

if you drive a much older car(like my 98 expedition) you will see noticable bad behavior and effects from running 87 in it. OLD CARS DO NOT LIKE ETHANOL!! I run 89 in my expy, because it is old and worn out and waiting for it's time to die anyway lol. Up until a year or two ago, I ran 93 because it gave me 3mpg more, not even kidding. Heh, back with my '91 Bronco I actually got a misfire running 87 when ethanol hit the scene in bulk.

Now, you can see a difference station to station, even though the suppliers are almost all the same, and they all follow basic ethanol blending rules because of the way ethanol handles water. Ethanol will suck up water like crazy- until it hits a saturation point of sorts. At which point, the water will layer on it like it does to oil. if a station owner lets the tanks run low a lot, condensation in the tank builds up. Most of the time the water goes out with the gas, but if it builds up enough, actual large amounts of water will layer off and pump into your car. Up north here, that can be disastrous to freezing gas lines etc, or at best, hurts mpg and power. Down south you might just notice some loss of power or mpg. Stations have gotten a lot better in recent years managing this.

Anyway, to sum up:
-keep the ethanol in mind when choosing 87/89/91, especially for older cars/trucks
-Dont be afraid to ask your local station where the gas comes from
-Dont be sold hard on just a brand name. Experiment and pay attention to your car and find that local station with the good stuff, regardless of brand. MPG changes can show a lot here.
- dont be afraid to pay 5 cents a gallon more. lol, it takes 20 gallons to make a dollar at that price difference. Quality fuel is worth a nickel right? If every station in town is about the same for you(quality and suplier) then shop around. otherwise, dont bawk at that nickel so much.
-If on a road trip or somewhere out and about away from your home station, by at least midgrade, especially if the ethanol content is displayed at the pump. What one depot is supplied with as "cheap-o 87 that needs ethanol to use" may be a lot different then another depot. At least with mid grade you get 50% gas that is good enough not to need help.

I hope this post is informative.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I use 93 octane Sunoco, 95% of the time. I find it to be the most "compatible" with my car!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I generally use Exxon; seem to get the best performance with it as long as a buy from a particular location. If I do every so often use Shell, but only at one particular location. If I am anywhere else, it's going to be Exxon.

·
Does this dial go to 11?
155 Posts
Petro-Canada Ultra 94. I don't look at mileage though.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I use Valero most of the time. Occasionally I will fill up with Conoco. If I am traveling I will use whatever is on the way as long as I know the name, never some off brand.

I use 89 in the car most times, occasionally I'll put in 93. In my bike, nothing but 91 or higher, pretty easy to find 93 around here which is what always goes in my bike.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Sunoco 93 for the win!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ive only used BP on my charger since I got her , Is shell better? Theres a hella lot votes for shell

21 - 40 of 70 Posts