Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My wife just got me a beautiful 2008 Dodge Charger R/T for Valentines Day. I was wondering what kind of mods should I do first? I was thinking I would get a new exhaust system, I would love to have a really nice, deep, loud growl. I was also thinking of getting a new coilover kit. Any suggestions on specific parts? Or any suggestions on whether I should do some other mods or upgrades first? Thank you all, can't wait to flip through these forums and see what magnificent rides you all have!

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
9,164 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh! She got you a Charger instead of a box of chocolates? She's a keeper! Sorry, I'm not an expert on mods for that gen of Charger, but others on here are. And we have lots of threads about mods. Good luck, and enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate it very much. I am from Michigan, myself. I am more of a computer nerd, than a car nerd, but i really want to treat this car well. This is my first car that has some good power, and I really would like to take good care of it, and make it mine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
what kind of mods should I do first?
Have any mods been done already by previous owner/s or is the car factory stock? I assume you're looking for performance mods? It all depends on what your HP/TQ goals are and how much money you want to spend. Hi-flow air intake filter will increase airflow. CAI (cold air intake) of the right design will increase airflow and change the sound of the exhaust. Exhaust system changes will also increase exhaust flow and change the sound. Exhaust system changes range from headers (shorty or long tube), to hi-flow mufflers, muffler delete, etc... Biggest gain for bolt-on mods is a custom tune. You make the bolt-on changes (intake, exhaust) and then use a tuner (e.g. Diablosport) to install a email custom tune (e.g. HemiFever Tuning). If you want to spend big $$$, we'll get you started on hi-performance cams, heads, forged internals, stroker kits, superchargers ...
If you don't know the maintenance history of the car the first order of business is to get the maintenance done (engine oil/filter change, transmission fluid/filter change, new spark plugs, coolant change, check brake fluid condition, power steering fluid condition, condition of serpentine belt, etc...). Hemi engine takes 16 spark plugs. Spark plugs for 2008 5.7L engine are copper core with nickel plated electrodes. Use the factory spec plugs. You can download the User Manual and it should have the Maintenance Schedule and spark plug information.

DiabloSport - Gasoline and Diesel Tuning Systems
Dodge, Jeep & Chrysler Tuning | Jeep Chip | Dodge Programmer & More | Diablo | SCT
Official Mopar Site | Owner's Manual

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 2017 RT Charger, but I think yours was before adaptive exhaust, and definitely before 8-speed autos. So be careful what you do with your exhaust or you'll end up with drone that will drive you crazy at cruising speed. Rather than spending a bunch of money on custom exhaust work, most people at least TRY doing a mid-muffler delete, or replacing the mid-mufflers with something a little freer flowing. I did the delete but kept the back resonators. It has an excellent tone but it is very loud. I have to be careful where I open it up or it'll attract the law! There's basically no drone for me because I have the 8-speed. The only other mods I have done are HID headlights and a tazer.
Welcome to the Z

1 - 12 of 12 Posts