Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I'm going to put short tube headers and a cam in my 2011 5.7 charger police car. I'm going to wait to put the cam in. Will I need to retune if I change just the manifolds to short tube headers? I know I need a tune when I do the cam regardless.

· Registered
29 Posts
Just a fyi if your going to do a cam at some point. Just a suggestion do the headers at the same time. Just because it's much easier to put headers on when you have the heads pulled. I installed shorties and it took like 10 hours and a major pita. G/L

· Registered
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD Plus
41 Posts
If you went with long tubes then you would need a tune or else you'll throw codes and run too rich as the engine wasn't told its going to breathe better, but for shorties you aren't doing anything crazy to the exhaust scavenging so you shouldn't have issues.

· Registered
3,670 Posts
I installed shorties and it took like 10 hours and a major pita.
I had a custom exhaust shop install mine and it took them 6 hours; which they said was close to record time. They said sometimes they need the car for two days. The techs said they groan whenever a customer comes into the shop saying they want headers installed. They know it's going to be a PITA.

· Registered
41 Posts
I had a custom exhaust shop install mine and it took them 6 hours; which they said was close to record time. They said sometimes they need the car for two days. The techs said they groan whenever a customer comes into the shop saying they want headers installed. They know it's going to be a PITA.
I think they removed the heads to do that if it took that long. It is easier but takes a lot longer. Coming from underneath the vehicle and installing them is a little harder because of removal and install of the forward most bolts but if done in a timely fashion, it could be done in about 2-3hours given there were no complications.

· Registered
3,670 Posts
I think they removed the heads to do that if it took that long.
No head removal. Installed from underneath according to JBA installation instructions. A fair amount of time is spent with penetrating oil to loosen the exhaust manifold bolts. You don't want to break the bolts or strip the threads in the aluminum heads. You also have to remove the motor mounts so you can raise the engine a couple of inches for clearance. Download the installation instructions for all the details. JBA (Pertronix) website says estimated installation time is 5 hrs ... but most postings on the internet report the install takes 7-9 hours; depending on your tool supply. As posted by weasalsmopar, if you're doing it yourself in your home garage it may take 10 hrs.; not an uncommon install time for DIY installers.
2-3 hours to install is not going to happen.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/6913/4628/files/1964S-1_v1.pdf

· Registered
41 Posts
No head removal. Installed from underneath according to JBA installation instructions. A fair amount of time is spent with penetrating oil to loosen the exhaust manifold bolts. You don't want to break the bolts or strip the threads in the aluminum heads. You also have to remove the motor mounts so you can raise the engine a couple of inches for clearance. Download the installation instructions for all the details. JBA (Pertronix) website says estimated installation time is 5 hrs ... but most postings on the internet report the install takes 7-9 hours; depending on your tool supply. As posted by weasalsmopar, if you're doing it yourself in your home garage it may take 10 hrs.; not an uncommon install time for DIY installers.
2-3 hours to install is not going to happen.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/6913/4628/files/1964S-1_v1.pdf
Makes sense, most for my experience with doing headers has been on trucks where there is more room, didnt think the process was more in depth on our chargers because i have seen people on youtube do it without doing the motor mounts, just wiggle along and have an extended electric ratchet and you could pull them out. Another thing i do different is during the week leading up to headers is when i soak the nuts with pb blaster, usually had great luck getting them off with that prep

· Registered
3,670 Posts
Install time (difficulty) varies depending on the design/shape of the headers and the vehicle. Some are more involved than others. The instructions above are for the 5.7L Charger. A 5.0L Mustang of the same model year is even more time consuming. You still have to raise the engine but also remove the steering shaft from the U-Joint on the steering rack (driver side) and the starter motor (passenger side).

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Get a base line dyno pull before the installation and an after installation pull.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts