Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New owner of a 2014 Charger SXT, the specs...
- Torred
- Backtop edition
- 20 inch wheels
- Firestone Firehawk GT tires
- Nice interior package with the nav system and a sunroof.
- V6 RWD 8speed

All that is great. The car looks like a dream! However...

I live in NJ and winter weather is a fact of life. I've got a long commute of 57 miles over mostly highways.

I am worried how the car will perform in wet / wintery weather of snow to a few inches and slush.

My biggest concern in the tires of course. As wide and big as they are coupled with a "performance" tire has me afraid to take it out or get caught.

Next fear is the RWD - my first 6 cars were RWD, but in the last 25 yrs I haven't touched one.

I've gotta say this car rides like a dream, but I'd like to keep it taht way and not splip-slide away.

Any real world experience the forum can share?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have an AWD so I don't need to change anything but if I had RWD I would put snow tires on it. I drive a Crown Vic police car that is RWD and with the snows on I have never had a problem. I'm sure the RWD owners will give you advice, this was just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, welcome to the z.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You should be fine...never had issues with mine and yours is newer.
Just this weekend had a newer mazda get stuck in a parking lot and i drove right past em.

Drive slow and anticipate where your going.
And yes winter tires is a must.

Dont drive it like a truck...far too many think winter tires make you immune to the crap on the road....it only buys you extra time to react.

And Welcome to the Z. lots of helpful folks around here

·
Read Only
1,405 Posts
I have a 13 SXT Blacktop and I bought a set of 18" stock rims from someone with a Challenger and got some winter tires. I keep the stock wheels and tires in my basement over winter. The snow tires helped a lot and I also have 120lbs of sand bags in the trunk for extra traction. Now I don't slip around unless the snow is 6+ inches and even then it's not bad.

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
Welcome to the Z, from Buffalo, NY. I'd like to think I know a thing or two about snow up here. :D Real snow tires, not "all seasons", and taking it easy, not getting in over your head, and anticipating road conditions will give you the best results in the snow. Keeping momentum where you need it, and keeping your momentum down when you don't are also a big help. I've been thinking about putting some weight in my trunk, since the back end does tend to get a little wiggly on any appreciable amount of snow, but so far, so good.
If there's one thing that I've learned it's that snow tires make all the difference - even in my '08 SXT AWD that I had before this. Starting, stopping, turning - it all requires contact with the road. If your tires don't shed the snow and get down to the pavement, you won't have any of it. Weight over the driving axle helps get them to the road, too, but the tread pattern is 2nd only to experience, caution, and confidence.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After the six inches of snow we just received, my car did great. I plowed down unplowed roads and lots of ice without issue. As for the snow tires, they are a must. Going from a lower Magnum with 20s to the stock 18s on the Charger I noticed a huge difference.

Also, welcome to the forum from Kansas!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Winter tires will help you a lot.
I have sets of michelins on mine and worked well in few inches.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm running the factory firestone gts through chicago winter. The only time I have an issue is from a dead stop to climb an incline. You will be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Took delivery on 2014 RWD RT Blacktop last week. Had dealer take the 20" wheels & Firestone 245 tires off and replaced them with 18" police steel wheels and four (4) new Goodyear P225 60-18 Winter GWV Ultra Grip V Rated tires. Had winter tires on my 2010 Charger RT RWD also - worked well . Live north of Boston and it sows frequently here. Blacktop wheels & tires in basement ready for spring. Good luck with new ride!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts