Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a 2007 Charger (3.5L V6) that won't start. Drove to work, it was fine. When I got off, it wouldn't start. I go to turn the key and nothing. No clicking or anything. I was pretty sure it wasn't the battery since lights, radio, etc. all come on (and the battery is less than a year old). However, I checked the battery for possible corrosion or loose connections and did try to jump it just in case. That didn't work. I popped the hood and checked for any obvious trouble. Nothing looked out of place. I had someone else crank it for me while I listened and discovered a whirring noise followed by 3 or 4 short popping sounds. Whirring sounds like it's coming from the throttle body and the popping around the fuse box. (Here is a link to some video I got to give you an idea of what I'm talking about: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPfYrutefk&feature=youtu.be]VID20130509_181346 - YouTube[/URL]) Anyway, I thought it might be the starter relay, so I got one from the dealership and tried that, but it didn't work. So now I'm not sure what to do next. I would love any help you can give me on this! I certainly don't wanna waste money taking it to the dealership if I can fix it myself. Thanks!

OH! I also tried swapping out my keys in case there was a chip issue and that didn't work either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try swapping out your battery with a new. I know you mention that trying to jump start yield no success and other electronic in the car work. Maybe the battery is good enough to turn stuff on but not to start the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The whirring and popping noises are probably normal, Fuel system building up pressure and relays turning on in the fuse box. Typically a weak battery would cause rapid clicking noises from the starter or a slow turning starter. The starter not evening attempting to engage sounds like there's an issue elsewhere. Could be a faulty ignition switch. But this is just a guess. Another possibility is a bad neutral safety switch. This keeps the engine from starting in any gear except neutral and park. Try moving the shifter into neutral and see if it will start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue!

If I may ask, did you ever find out what the issue was? I'm going through the same thing. My dash lights are on my headlights interior lights trunk light dot ding but that's about it. I hear popping and whirring but nothing else my ignition feels a little loose. I don't know what to do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found the problem!

I found the problem it's in the ignition. If the ignition is loose when you turn it then your ignition switch actuator broke. I just ordered a dorman part# 924 739. I think that is it. It was about 40 dollars saved me a headache and a trip to the dealership I wish I could show pictures of how I have my car starting now for the meantime, but I don't know how to upload pictures here. All you have to do is take your ignition apart and replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Starting problems on 2007 dodge charger

Did replacing the ignition fix on your 2007 dodge charger fixed the starting problems?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is your ignition really loose when you turn the key? You know how it's supposed to click mine didn't do that when the ignition actuator broke.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Starting issues??

I'm not sure if the ignition is loose, but I think it is. Not sure how it got that way, but I've replaced the starter and test the relays and my car (2007 Dodge Charger SXT) still won't start. I bought the ignition switch today. Do you have photos of the repair you did? How did you open the panel to get to the ignition switch? Do you remember the dimension of the torx screw you had to detach the ignition switch from the key lock cylinder housing? You can email me the photos to [email protected] since you said you're unable to upload photos here. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Starting issues...trying to install ignition switch

Thanks for your help so far. I'm trying to remove the lower panel to where I can access the ignition switch on my 2007 Dodge Charger SXT. So far, I've removed the ignition bezel and the lower screw on the lower panel, but it still feels pretty tight. Did I miss any more screws on the lower panel? I don't want to use too much force and break something. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the actuator pin on '07 dodge charger , thanks

Thanks Sev13, I installed the ignition switch actuator pin (dorman part # 924-739) yesterday (12/14/13). The car starts fine now. Unfortunately, some of the instruments on the car dashboard is not coming on. For instance, if I signal, I will hear the clicking noise, but I won't see any light. I re-open the dash to see if anything was loose, I didn't see anything. Also, I loose the four screws that's holding the dash but I couldn't pull it out completely to look behind for any loose connections. Any suggestions of what could be the issue? I don't think it's the fuses because when I shot the car off, my car phone charger on the lighter outlet was still lit, so I had to disconnect my battery until I can find the solution. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey guys, I am glad I found this post! I am having what seems to be the exact same problem on my 07 Charger. I turn the key (which doesn't feel quite right but may not be that loose) and nothing happens at all when I get to the "Start" position. Tried jumping it just in case and that didn't help. I assumed it was the key lock cylinder, but I have heard when it's the key lock cylinder the key will not turn well or it will get stuck in the key lock. Are these the same symptoms you are having where the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin from Dorman (924-739) fixed it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes it did Hoyt. Your radio shouldn't come on. It'll feel like your battery is dead. Only the windows ac dash lit up for me. But that may also be because I have an aftermarket radio with the wrong kit lol. The ignition didn't "click" like it usually did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes it did Hoyt. Your radio shouldn't come on. It'll feel like your battery is dead. Only the windows ac dash lit up for me. But that may also be because I have an aftermarket radio with the wrong kit lol. The ignition didn't "click" like it usually did.
Ok, that sounds right. When turning the key there is no resistance or clicking when switching between the stops that are normally there (accessory, start, etc.). I'll pull it out tonight before I order the part (I can't find it in any local stores).

FYI, I believe my radio works as normal, but it's stock with no mods so perhaps that explains the difference. Also when taking the key out of the ignition, the "chime" sound warning the key is still in the ignition stays on most of the time. Did you notice this issue as well?

Is it difficult to replace this part? I know generally how to get at it because I have the Chilton manual, but the Chilton doesn't mention anything about changing the ignition actuator pin because that's not a Mopar part or how the dealerships fix this issue. Is it easy to figure out how to take apart the ignition starter to replace this Dorman part? Any pics or videos would be appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, that sounds right. When turning the key there is no resistance or clicking when switching between the stops that are normally there (accessory, start, etc.). I'll pull it out tonight before I order the part (I can't find it in any local stores).

FYI, I believe my radio works as normal, but it's stock with no mods so perhaps that explains the difference. Also when taking the key out of the ignition, the "chime" sound warning the key is still in the ignition stays on most of the time. Did you notice this issue as well?

Is it difficult to replace this part? I know generally how to get at it because I have the Chilton manual, but the Chilton doesn't mention anything about changing the ignition actuator pin because that's not a Mopar part or how the dealerships fix this issue. Is it easy to figure out how to take apart the ignition starter to replace this Dorman part? Any pics or videos would be appreciated.
FYI, I took it apart this afternoon and found out the part is broken so it sounds like this is my issue. I was able to figure out how to get to it with the Chilton manual and filling in the blanks with a little trial and error. I'll send you an email to follow up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any install videos on this. I'm having same issue?
Sorry, I don't have a video. I purchased Dorman part 924739 and they provide some decent pictures with instructions in the box. However, I took it apart prior to buying to make sure it was broken so I already knew how to replace it. The part is known as the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin and when you search for videos, you'll find many other cars which have videos on how to replace the similar part for that car but I was never able to find a good video for the Charger. You'll have to open up the knee panel and dash on the driver side to get to it. It takes some work to get everything out, but it's not that difficult if you have experience working behind the dash and instrument cluster. Let me know if you need any additional information and I'll see if I can help you out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts