Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this doesn't sound very cost-effective but really what I want is a Charger AWD with the 5.7 in the new body style I'm really open to ethier converting a Rt to AWD or plopping a crate engine into a already AWD vehicle

·
Registered
945 Posts
I know this doesn't sound very cost-effective but really what I want is a Charger AWD with the 5.7 in the new body style I'm really open to ethier converting a Rt to AWD or plopping a crate engine into a already AWD vehicle
Do yourself a huge favor, and just buy a Charger Pursuit 5.7 AWD, then take some of the money you saved and civilian-ify it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I cant tell if your hinting at a engine swap or a trans swap
A trans swap won't get you what you want, unless you start with a 5.7 Pursuit AWD and swap in something like an 8HP70. I suppose there's a possibility that a 15-up Pursuit might already have the correct floor pan for the 8-speed, but they may have just continued to use the NAG1-compatible floor pan out of the 11-14 parts catalog. If that's the case, on top of everything else...wiring, fluid lines, driveshaft modification, TCM programming, AWD integration, electronic shifter retrofit...you'd have to swap the floor pans. Just not practical.

The number I came up with was based very roughly on your suggestion of a 5.7 crate motor in a 3.6 AWD. That swap strikes me as potentially doable. To put it into perspective, let's just say that you were Mark Bosonac, Head of Mopar Parts and Service for FCA North America, and you decided that you just couldn't live without a current-gen Charger R/T AWD. You could probably shoot an email to the right manager and explain that you would like him to put together a little team-building exercise for some of the more talented SRT engineers to swap a 5.7 Eagle into a GT AWD. You could sign off on whatever parts they'd need, and if they could get it finished in one weekend, there'd be...I don't know...beer, pizza, and maybe a few late-night hours on the spaghetti road at the Chelsea Proving Grounds. I'd say, 50% chance there.

But for you, me, or any other mere mortal, I suspect you're looking at $8,000 to $10,000 (not including any R/T cosmetics), and that's with doing most of the legwork and parts sourcing yourself.

Just my 2¢.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts