Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2006 yellow Daytona Charger. She had one of those tree shape air freshners sitting in front of the gear shift knob below the ash tray. When she removed the air freshner, some of the yellow paint peeled off the trim piece that surrounds the gear shift area. What is the correct way to remove the plastic trim piece that outlines the gear shift? I was able to remove the chrome center piece but could not see how to seperate the plastic piece. Perhaps I could repaint or replace. I did not want to break it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
First you need to remove the chrome trim ring around the shifter. It's just wedged in there, grab both sides with your fingers from the inside and pull up. It should pop right out. Next you have to remove the rubber tray in front of the ashtray, there are 2 screws under it. The shifter surround is held in be those 2 screws and some clips at the other end. After removing the screws you should just be able to pull up on it and the clips will pop out.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
First you need to remove the chrome trim ring around the shifter. It's just wedged in there, grab both sides with your fingers from the inside and pull up. It should pop right out. Next you have to remove the rubber tray in front of the ashtray, there are 2 screws under it. The shifter surround is held in be those 2 screws and some clips at the other end. After removing the screws you should just be able to pull up on it and the clips will pop out.
REPs for helping him out!

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult to paint it, just take your time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm thinking about painting this entire area, myself. Tired of the sun shining in and hitting the chrome and blinding me.

As though chrome somehow gave it an air of sophistication. Whatever benefit it did convey went out the window when I saw that the ring didn't even sit in its grommet right. :v

I'm surprised there isn't a billet aluminum one for sale.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
I'm thinking about painting this entire area, myself. Tired of the sun shining in and hitting the chrome and blinding me.

As though chrome somehow gave it an air of sophistication. Whatever benefit it did convey went out the window when I saw that the ring didn't even sit in its grommet right. :v

I'm surprised there isn't a billet aluminum one for sale.
When I got tired of the chrome I painted it flat black. After a few months I had it wrapped in black leather.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to remove the chrome trim piece and the two rubber inserts. I found the two screws in the front beneath the rubber cover. After removing the screws, I tried to pull the bezel up, but it didnt give way. I thought about prying on it in a few spots with a screw driver, but did not want to damage or break it. Too many times, I have said "oh thats how that works," after the damage is done. Any tricks after the two screws are removed?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was able to remove the chrome trim piece and the two rubber inserts. I found the two screws in the front beneath the rubber cover. After removing the screws, I tried to pull the bezel up, but it didnt give way. I thought about prying on it in a few spots with a screw driver, but did not want to damage or break it. Too many times, I have said "oh thats how that works," after the damage is done. Any tricks after the two screws are removed?
No tricks, it's just held in with pressure clips. Just went and pulled my shifter surround out for ya. It took a little force as there are 4 clips under it. Grab a hold of the lip just inside the shifter surround on the left and grab inside the pocket on the right (pull out the liner in the pocket) & pull up.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
A billet peice would look good and match the "aluminum" finsh on the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts