Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I getting ready to retire from the military. I am going to travel (in my Charger of course) and I want to protect the front end. What do you think of a car bra? Is it old school? :4-dontknow: Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
There are people here that utilize car bra's. I say go for it! Congrats on the retirement!

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Welcome to the Z from Southern Georgia!:TU: Congrats on your retirement. I have one that I use from time to time when I travel; it does help save the paint.

·
Registered
20,981 Posts
Welcome to the Z from Texas:4-wavey:
Glad to have you here!!!
Congrats on the retirement!
I'd say go for it too, Does save the paint!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I would recommend using the blue painter's tape prior to using the "bra". The bra flapping in the wind will eat away your paint at the contact points.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I definitely say get one to save your front end!!!! I have to get mine repainted but afterwards will definitely be investing in one after the new paint is on

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Welcome from NY! Congrats on retirement also!

They make a 3M clear bra, which is a clear overlay that will protect your from end, and its clear, so you wont see it!

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
I have one I use just for trips, it only take ten minutes to put it on and saves me hours of bug scrubbing. I have no flap at all it fits very snug and I take it off after the trip.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've seen the clear 3M ones on other vehicles and would go that route.
Claims state you just wipe the bugs off...!!!
And you can't really tell you have it, once its on.
Have to look real close.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have one I use just for trips, it only take ten minutes to put it on and saves me hours of bug scrubbing. I have no flap at all it fits very snug and I take it off after the trip.
Do you have a Mopar one or do you have one from an aftermarket producer?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Clear Bra for front end

Hi--Just my two cents worth--I've had the 3m clear bra on my RT/Charger for over three years and it is almost undetectable. I've had a removeable bra on a 2001 Sebring when I bought it new in '01 and took it off regularly for cleaning when I waxed car monthly and it still discolored the paint.
I can't recommend the clear bra strongly enough, a little pricey up this way, but the only way to go and well worth the money considering if you have to repaint the front end a time or two and then hope that you get a real good color match
Hope this helps
Jerry K

·
Registered
7 Posts
congrats on the retirement, I'm also retired military. Bra use, had one on my 06 charger and flapping in the breeze was not what I wanted.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies, I think i will look into the clear bra to get that full time protection but I think the black bra on my inferno red gives a good contrast in colors. Yep, I think I'll get both if the clear isn't to expensive. Maybe I'm just :4-looney:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congrats, bro!! Enjoy CIVPAC/LAN/FLT!! I would say, go for the clear bra.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Congrats on retirement! I have seen quite a few vehicles around here with car bras that have badly discolored paint, most likely due to sun damage, or lingering moisture. I say clear bra is better, simply because you won't have to worry about it, at least as much as the physical bra. :TU: hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would say go for the clear bra. They have them on ebay for about $300. It's the platinum edition which includes the front bumper, grill, front part of hood and scoop, side mirrors, and front of the fenders. I'm looking into this after I fix some chips on my front end. If you want to use both I say go for it. You can never have to much protection! LOL!

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Do you have a Mopar one or do you have one from an aftermarket producer?
Aftermarket, Colgan Custom by Covercraft. Also I wouldn't recommend leaving one on for long periods of time.

Here's a pick of mine with it on for trip to the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I wish I had one when I went to the Sahara desert in north Africa. We cross a sand storm and we didn't understand why people was stopping to drive!!!!! After 2 hours we stop because the windshield was all blurred and the front of the car was totally out of paint!!!!:eek:
My Visa card didn't appreciate at all!!!:shakehead:
Ok ok, there is not to much sand storm on the US road but still!!!! Take it!!!:TU::D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts